Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubicon Sway Bar Problem

Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubi28
How aggravating is it to use this? I know it wouldnt be as "convenient" as the factory electronic disco but if the thing works great and is relatively easy to use and doesn't make me break down... might be worth a shot!
Very easy to use, just turn the knob and lock the jamnut, turn the other way to go back connected. Love mine

sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-01-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well boys... Looks like replacing the sway bar module didn't fix her. I picked it up this morning, drove it back to my work, got back in it to go fix a flat tire on my wife's car (when it rains it pours), and there went the sway bar light flashing and no start... I couldn't believe my eyes. I called the dealership back and they sent their master tech and director of service out to my job to look at it while it was messing up. By the time they got there.. problem gone... I have a couple videos on my phone of what it was doing which I showed them but how good is that??? At least they know I am not crazy. Oh well... Back to the drawing board.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well boys... Looks like replacing the sway bar module didn't fix her. I picked it up this morning, drove it back to my work, got back in it to go fix a flat tire on my wife's car (when it rains it pours), and there went the sway bar light flashing and no start... I couldn't believe my eyes. I called the dealership back and they sent their master tech and director of service out to my job to look at it while it was messing up. By the time they got there.. problem gone... I have a couple videos on my phone of what it was doing which I showed them but how good is that??? At least they know I am not crazy. Oh well... Back to the drawing board.
Well well well. My boyfriend just went out and started my jeep and the light is blinking again.

We having fun yet?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, yea I plan on using a bigger hammer on it when I get off work. Driving me crazy... Just don't understand how the sway bar disconnect can cause the thing to run weird or not start but.. your right electronics is a weird thing
Sway bar e-disco uses the same BUS line as various other systems. Being that they use the same "road" of information it can cause issues. I recently had my whole sway bar system changed and it fixed a couple issues which seemed at the time unrelated.
- rattling coming from front end (turned out to be sway bar disconnecting briefly, intermittently)
- manual shifting (auto) would hesitate or jam and take numerous taps of the shifter to finally shift to a higher gear
turns out the shifting would be delayed due to the fact the BUS line was busy with the e-disco communication
Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Well well well. My boyfriend just went out and started my jeep and the light is blinking again.

We having fun yet?

So much fun I just don't know what to do anymore! Are you as frustrated as I am? So close yet so far away...
Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
Sway bar e-disco uses the same BUS line as various other systems. Being that they use the same "road" of information it can cause issues. I recently had my whole sway bar system changed and it fixed a couple issues which seemed at the time unrelated.
- rattling coming from front end (turned out to be sway bar disconnecting briefly, intermittently)
- manual shifting (auto) would hesitate or jam and take numerous taps of the shifter to finally shift to a higher gear
turns out the shifting would be delayed due to the fact the BUS line was busy with the e-disco communication

I noticed in the fuse box that the same fuse for the sway bar feed is also the one for the fuel pump relay and a couple other things. They contacted some high finagled engineer to help so... maybe he will. Keep yall posted.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Okay latest update. They said the system just needed to be flashed so they did that today. I tested out the sway bar twice in the parking lot before leaving and it worked just fine. No flashing light.

Fingers crossed!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Okay latest update. They said the system just needed to be flashed so they did that today. I tested out the sway bar twice in the parking lot before leaving and it worked just fine. No flashing light.

Fingers crossed!
Thats great news, I am really hoping at least one of ours is fixed! haha, but I have a couple questions about the fix they did. I wonder how the figured out the system needed to be flashed? What consists of a "flash" and what exactly does it do really? Maybe thats a dumb question but I have no idea the answer so maybe someone could help me there. Also, did your jeep ever run weird or would crank over but not actually run when the sway bar light was flashing? I just stopped in the dealership for a visit and showed them the videos I have of what it's doing which seemed to help them understand alittle.... or not...we'll see. The tech said that low voltage from the battery can cause issues like this, which is what a couple people here mentioned, but he said my battery seems fine. He also said he is going to e-mail some stars something or other to see if they can help.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

A flash is just a computer update as far as I know. So since they replaced and electronic part, they had to tell the computer to play nicely with it. That's my guess. I could be making things up.

So if they replaced your actuator but didn't do a system update that could explain your problem.

As for whether or not I had other issues, yes, my Jeep was going into whatever I can describe as limp mode. It would downshift, engine fan would come on, and it threw 24 error codes including ABS not working, couldn't detect fuel level, etc. Luckily I could clear those with my Flashcal.

Never had it not start but I also left the unit unplugged when all this started happening so that it was still drivable.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

FINALLY!!! The dealership actually got to witness the jeep doing it's "thing." Bad part... no idea whats wrong. But at least they know I'm not crazy here. They are leanin towards a bad spot in a harness somewhere.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Sway Bar Problem