Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon tires in snow

Old 10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Calgary, where they almost never plow the snow, we get packed snow, ice, and snow drifts that can last for weeks on the roads. Our MT's on our Rubi were ok, not great but ok.
Our Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on our Cherokee have the Wintor tire mark on them and in my opinion do better in those conditions. We are putting a set of the Silent Armor's on our Rubi for driving on the roads.
Having said all that, I don't think the Silent Armors are as good in deep snow as the MT's.

Siping the MT's if you can would probably help on packed snow conditions and ice, but it doesn't give the MT's the winter tire rubber compound that the Silent Armor's and other winter tires have that add to making them good on packed snow and ice.

I have no idea why I cannot as of yet find a MT tire that has the winter tire rubber in them.

Has anyone found an MT that has the Winter Tire mark on them?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noob question, but what does everyone mean when they say "siping the tires"?

Letting air out of the tires?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Siping a tire is cutting slits in the tread. If you look at a winter tire it is full of slits for better traction on hard snow and ice. Siping your tire is simply adding more slits to you tire. M/T's don't normally have many slits. You can get them siped by a machine or use a hot knife and do them yourself.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

No matter what they make an mt tire out of it will not get a winter tire mark on it. Few real AT's have the mark.

I saw a test done once with BFG AT's compared to blizzaks on snow and ice and the BFG's didn't even come close to how good the blizzaks worked.

I noticed a huge difference in the snow going from my stock goodyears to toyo mts. The MTs were not very good and its a good thing the jeeps have traction control and abs. I haven't had any real problems but the stock tires never made me feel like 4wd was needed and the toyos make me feel like I need it all the time.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tebo
Siping a tire is cutting slits in the tread. If you look at a winter tire it is full of slits for better traction on hard snow and ice. Siping your tire is simply adding more slits to you tire. M/T's don't normally have many slits. You can get them siped by a machine or use a hot knife and do them yourself.
Whoa, no way I'm doing that!

I'll just do what I did when I had my TJ, put a few sandbags in the back end.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:16 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by djdingo
I have an X but I upgraded those crappy factory tires to the Rubicon factory tires. I'm happy with these tires, got me to Colorado, over the mountains and back. I notice they aren't the best tires for rain but I'm curious on how they handle in the snow. I'm in Iowa and we'll probably start getting snow in less than a month.

Would like to know how they handle in fresh snow...undriven snow or snow on the trail.

And also how they handle on packed snow...snow on roads and highways.
get them siped. much better on wet roads and snow/ice Discount tire does them for about $10. a tire. There is no down side if done right. Google siping if you have any questions about it.

Last edited by dsy; 10-24-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

X2 on siping! Mine work great when driving to the mountains to go snowboarding!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got my BFG's siped, what a world of difference, actually feels safe driving in the winter on mud terrains
Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love my BFG's. They worked great in the snow. The only reason they are not sipped is I will be replacing them with some new rubber.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

I studded my stock Rubi tires... put 3 studs per lug on the outside lugs... 276 studs per tire... it works great on ice and snow. ( I have coopers for summer...)

Mark

Quick Reply: Rubicon tires in snow