Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rumble/ hesitation when shifting into gears 4,5&6

Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumble/ hesitation when shifting into gears 4,5&6

Yesterday I noticed that when I shift into 4th, 5th, or 6th gear my JK hesitates and shakes a little bit. It only happens in 4,5&6 and doesn't matter how I drive. At first I thought it was me, but it's never happened in the 1st 3 gears. I've also had multiple people drive it and it does this no matter how it's driven. This only happens when I shift into that gear from a lower gear, it does not if I downshift from a higher gear. Anyone else experienced this or know what this might be?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

How many miles? When's the last time you cleaned the throttle body? when's the last time you replaced plugs and wires?..I would personally spends a buck on a bottle of dry gas, and spend 2 bucks on a can of throttle body cleaner...dump in the dry gas and remove and clean the throttle body...disconnect the battery first and pull the 4 bolts and sensor... clean thoroughly and reassemble, takes about 30 mins total work time...cheap, easy, and should fix the problem..if not I would replace the plugs and wires and go from there. Lastly have you cycled the ignition to check for codes?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450
How many miles? When's the last time you cleaned the throttle body? when's the last time you replaced plugs and wires?..I would personally spends a buck on a bottle of dry gas, and spend 2 bucks on a can of throttle body cleaner...dump in the dry gas and remove and clean the throttle body...disconnect the battery first and pull the 4 bolts and sensor... clean thoroughly and reassemble, takes about 30 mins total work time...cheap, easy, and should fix the problem..if not I would replace the plugs and wires and go from there. Lastly have you cycled the ignition to check for codes?
Only 8200 miles. It's a 2011. I've only had it for 6 months. The weird thing is it only does this in the top three gears. It only does it for about the first second in the gear. It is responsive and never hesitates at any other time. I thought it may be a fuel problem at first, but this seems a little early to need this already. I also find it weird that this only happens in very specific circumstances. If it were a fuel problem I would think I would have this problem in more circumstances.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am getting the same problem, only it's in second and third. Happens when then engine is warm, very intermittent so you know the dealer isn't going to do a damn thing. Mine feels like a shudder, kind of like something is out of balance, maybe a miss? I just turned 7k on my 2011.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RichN
I am getting the same problem, only it's in second and third. Happens when then engine is warm, very intermittent so you know the dealer isn't going to do a damn thing. Mine feels like a shudder, kind of like something is out of balance, maybe a miss? I just turned 7k on my 2011.
That's odd that this only happens in certain gears. Mine is not intermittent though. I think I will take it to the dealer. If I find something out I'll let you know.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few of these threads rolling around on here. None of them come up with a specific diagnosis iirc. I suffer from the same thing every once in a great while. I've just decided that every so often the electronics don't fire up quite right and I wind up with a shudder when I shift. It seems to me to happen less when I turn the key to the "on" position and wait a few seconds before I crank it over. Then again I may want to believe that's what is happening and it actually just wasn't going to occur anyway.

Most of the time when I shut it down and restart it's gone completely. It just happened a couple weeks ago where it started shuddering between 2nd and 3rd so I shut the Jeep down at the next red light restarted and the shudder was gone for a couple miles then was back for two sets of upshifts then was gone again.

No help from me I know but just wanted to let you know my experiences.

Let us know if you actually diagnose this.

Here's a thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=shake+shift

Last edited by zeppo; 01-16-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
-

My jeep did this too a few months after I got it. Of course, it didn't do it when I took it to the dealer, but it had only done it twice since I've owned it. If it does it again ill let it sit for five sec before I fire it up. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I've had my jeep for about 200 miles now and just in the past couple days it started having a shudder in the higher gear shifts. I noticed if I backed off the clutch a little for the higher gear shifts it gets better. I was using more clutch for second gear when it's cold so it goes in smoother and I guess I started doing it to all gear shifts. Going to try to be more aware with how much I press the clutch and see if it continues to improve.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 10 with 29k has an intermittent hesitation around 2500 rpm when accelerating. It started after the emissions flash recall. At first I blamed gas, but that's clearly not the culprit. Dealer found no codes. It's like the ignition drops voltage right around 2500 during acceleration just for a split second. Usually in 2nd and 3rd. Very annoying.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

i just started getting the same stumbling you guys have been experiancing. if im cruising in 4th, maybe 40mph or so, let off the gas and coast then hit the gas a bit...it stumbles then picks right up. no loss in power after it stumbles but it is very annoying. TB was clear (just a light film) but i cleaned it anyway and i replaced plug wires. no luck. seems to happed more under load or acceleration.
2010 6sp 18k mls

Quick Reply: Rumble/ hesitation when shifting into gears 4,5&6