Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Seat belt locked up

Old 04-22-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger seat belt has locked up. There's little play in it, but that's it. Can't pull it out at all. Any ideas on how to fix?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Happend to me too. Try lowering the hight adjuster to its lowest level and feed the belt back in to the retractor. That should disengage the lock. Worked for me.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I tried that. Lowered it and retracted it all the way, still stuck.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This happened to me when I went wheeling in sand with the doors off last year. I got tons of sand in the Jeep and the mechanism for the passenger seat belt would not release. Later, I was in the process of removing the assembling to clean and inspect it, and the hammering from my impact gun caused all the sand stuck in the assembly to fall out. The seat belt came free and has been working great since!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My seatbelt also got stuck. I used compressed air to blow it out, some WD40 to lube, and contact cleaner because someone said they had the same issue and that fixed theirs. Did that and have been trouble free since then.

Quick Reply: Seat belt locked up