Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Seat Belt Retractor -- Door Slam

Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door

yeah, my GF does the same thing every time... and she also slams the tailgate so hard even when the Jeep in in a slope and she could just let it go... no no, she SLAMS it... BANG !!!!!!!!!!
I think I'm gonna instal a tailgate damper... LOL
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcuswrex
Thanks all, for the suggestions. I still figure, though, that if the darn thing went together, it comes apart. And, if it has tension to begin with, there's got to be a way to ratchet it up a notch.

I might just have to get stubborn on the thing.
You do know there is a pyrotechnically activated gas generator (explosive charge) on the front retractors, right?
Disconnect the battery negative terminal and wait 5 minutes to allow the system capacitor to discharge before working on the retractors.
Even then, be careful of static electricity.

If you manage to increase the tension (my guess is you won't be able to), you may not like the way it constantly pulls on you.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepincanada
yeah, my GF does the same thing every time... and she also slams the tailgate so hard even when the Jeep in in a slope and she could just let it go... no no, she SLAMS it... BANG !!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you need to return the favor
Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Really? Explosive? We're not talking airbags here....

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You do know there is a pyrotechnically activated gas generator (explosive charge) on the front retractors, right?
Disconnect the battery negative terminal and wait 5 minutes to allow the system capacitor to discharge before working on the retractors.
Even then, be careful of static electricity.

If you manage to increase the tension (my guess is you won't be able to), you may not like the way it constantly pulls on you.
Why would there be a "charge" in the SBR?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcuswrex
Why would there be a "charge" in the SBR?
Well, I put "explosive charge" in parentheses just in case a reader didn't know what a pyrotechnically activated gas generator is.
It is there to remove slack from the front seat belts in the event of a collision, thereby reducing the amount of forward motion of the occupants relative to the interior of the vehicle. It is part of the retractor assembly.

Working on any of the restsraint/seat/steering wheel systems can cause severe injury, or even death. People who work on their own vehicles really should have the proper technical data for reference.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Retractor -- Door Slam