Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Seatbelt alarm?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKlad
Oh OK, didn't notice your location before; I'm in Australia myself. Just google Chimebusters to get the supplier details (won't post details/link here in keeping with forum rules) & I'm pretty sure they will ship overseas for a cheap rate via the regular post (the chip is contained in a plastic cube only about the size of a dice or small ice cube & attatches directly to the PCM wiring so it's very small & easy to post); worth checking them out.
cheers...i'll check it out...i'd like to disable all chimes...
if it's expensive...the 'box' will die... !!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seatbelt chime alarm

This question is asked every couple months.
If you search on "seatbelt chime" you'll find about 10 threads on the subject.
So to summarize, again:

There are 3 ways to make the chime shut up.

1) gag - tape the mouth of the chime device
This is the most difficult as it requires opening up your dash.
It also gags the chime for more important issues like leaving your key in the ignition and locking the doors.

2) software - read your manual - yes it's a stupid manual on disc and a pain to use, but the info is there
This is the easiest but does not completely quiet the chime. It still sounds after start-up but doesn't continue to nag you. It also does not shut off the dash light.

3) hardware
This is the best as it is quite easy and it completely silences the belt chime and shuts off the dash light without disabling the other chime functions.

Here is the oldest and loooongest thread on the subject, complete with picture in post #18
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1176962

There is a thread where a guy recommended putting aluminum foil in the under-seat connector. This is NOT a recommended way to play with electronics - just randomly shorting connections. There is risk of defeating the airbag with this method.

Here's how I did it:
http://home.comcast.net/~jrburch_h/jeep/jk/jk.html
scroll down for a picture of the under-seat connector

This is a permanent shut-up of the chime for seatbelt function only. It silences the chime and keeps the dash light dark as well. It does not affect any other chime functions. There is no risk of a paper clip falling out or shorting to the chassis. There is no risk of doing something stupid with tin foil.

And before any more people weigh in on the issue of wearing your seatbelt, I always wear mine unless it's moving the Jeep a few feet in the driveway. Always.

I did this mod because I HATE the annoying chime after I've started the engine. My routine is to put the stick in Neutral, start the engine, arrange my carry-in stuff on the seat or floor, turn on the radio, get out my sun glasses, settle in the seat and THEN fasten the belt - always. I don't need some stupid, nanny, noise maker to remind me to buckle. I've been doing it every time I drive for about 45 years now. I don't need to be nagged.

So

No light, no chime, no risk, no damage.
It's the best.
Total cost about $0.50 for the tap splice.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Very helpful as I hate that damn thing when I have to run to the corner store for a gallon of milk or a six pack.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did the seat belt buckle unbuckle repeat method mentioned above on my 2011. Worked great.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt alarm?