Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Serious wheel stud issue

Old 02-26-2019, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Nice rude awakening tonight......finally got around to replacing wheel studs, only to then find out that the Nitro axles I have installed apparently have screw in studs rather than press in! Auto stores don't carry em, and Ace didn't have grade 8 1/2" 20 bolts threaded down to the head. What a headache. I can see how over torquing a lug nut on a threaded stud is even worse than a press in.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I feel like I've hijacked the OP's thread, but feel the information is useful for all.....and a picture is worth a thousand words. I probably have ~100 pavement miles on these wheel studs after first hearing an odd noise before realizing I was missing a lug. They sure started to deteriorate fast once one was missing!

Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good grief. Did you go to your axle manufacturer for new stud bolts? If not there I bought all my bolts for lift kit at bolt depot. Shipping sucks but they had everything I needed.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Seizer
Good grief. Did you go to your axle manufacturer for new stud bolts? If not there I bought all my bolts for lift kit at bolt depot. Shipping sucks but they had everything I needed.
I found some Moser Engineering studs at Summit Racing, called them to confirm they were in stock at that store, and that I could walk in and purchase them. They said yup, but it was a big nope when tried. ugh. My buddy has a shop and got tired of hearing me commiserate about it. He had some G2 studs drop shipped to me. Should be here tomorrow so I'll dink round with it this weekend. I didn't think screw in studs would be so difficult to locate. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Question for you guys.....why is it so hard to find a regular grade 8 hex bolt threaded the entire way? It's dang near impossible around DFW. Even Fastenal didn't have one. Once you get to a 2" bolt, part of the shaft is always just solid. I'm sure there is some reason.....I'm just no bolt expert.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This is helpful as my Revolution shafts are also threaded all the way down. I guess I should have written down the pitch and all so I could get replacements down the road.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'd have to think they are 1/2" - 20 as all these JK wheel studs should be. If they weren't, I suspect you would have noticed an issue with your lug nuts by now. I continue to learn new things every day. ....the art of growing I suppose. I'm just surprised how hard they have been to locate locally.

Quick Reply: Serious wheel stud issue