Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

shift linkage broken

Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift linkage broken

Hi

I have a 2012 jk unlimited with the pentastar and 5 speed auto.

Had bad luck today and a branch did got stuck between the shaft and shift linkage cable.

How hard is it to repair this?

Do I need to buy a hole new wire all the way or is it only the end part made of plastic and some strange housing thing.

I´m a little bit worried about the metal lever attached to the gearbox, it is bent. Can it be remowed without opening the transmission?

Thanks in advance for help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160711_001[1].jpg
Views:	313
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	652028

Old 07-13-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The plastic cable shield is broken which will allow dirt to get inside the cable housing and over time will cause it to rust. You will need to replace the entire cable assembly unless you can find a way to repair the plastic shielding. The plastic shifter bushing (PN 68064273-AB) appears to be broken too; which will require replacing. The bushing is an easy fix.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesS
The plastic cable shield is broken which will allow dirt to get inside the cable housing and over time will cause it to rust. You will need to replace the entire cable assembly unless you can find a way to repair the plastic shielding. The plastic shifter bushing (PN 68064273-AB) appears to be broken too; which will require replacing. The bushing is an easy fix.
Thanks for your reply!

I´ve ordered a new cable assembly and I think everything is included. It seems to be a kind of easy repair to do. Going to a work shop tomorrow to try to straighten the lever on the side of the gearbox.

I´ve also ordered a new lever and the seal for that part. Not sure if the valvebody inside trany has to be removed or not to change the lever. But for the moment the straighten fix has do to and a new wire assembly. Soon going to change gearbox oil and filter and at that time I will be able to see if the lever is easy to remove or not. Not sure if the new lever piece is coming "alone" or if it is mounted on a axle from the begining. For what I´ve been able to see it is heat schrinked on a axle with spline but not sure. There is no nut on the outside.

Quick Reply: shift linkage broken