Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shifting like sandpaper

Old 05-11-2017, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting like sandpaper

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 jk Rubicon 6speed with about 41k on it. Almost completely stock.
The shifter used to feel great. however one day I noticed that as the transmission would heat up, it felt like sandpaper when shifting into the various gears. Even side to side in neutral felt super grainy and odd. I checked the fluid for water, and there was none. Any ideas what could be causing this? Dealers here won't take enough time to test drive is so of course they just keep telling me that the couldn't reproduce this issue. I also checked the mounts, those are also good. In addition t this, it gradually becomes more difficult to shift into and even out of gears, sometimes requiring me to double-clutch.

Thanks!

Lemmy
Old 05-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKLemmy
Hey guys,

I have a 2011 jk Rubicon 6speed with about 41k on it. Almost completely stock.
The shifter used to feel great. however one day I noticed that as the transmission would heat up, it felt like sandpaper when shifting into the various gears. Even side to side in neutral felt super grainy and odd. I checked the fluid for water, and there was none. Any ideas what could be causing this? Dealers here won't take enough time to test drive is so of course they just keep telling me that the couldn't reproduce this issue. I also checked the mounts, those are also good. In addition t this, it gradually becomes more difficult to shift into and even out of gears, sometimes requiring me to double-clutch.

Thanks!

Lemmy

This is one of those things that is super difficult to diagnose over the internet, where are you located? *edit, just saw that you're in Alaska*

Have you drained your fluid? If not, it might be time to take it all the way down and see if there is anything odd about the fluid. Look for contaminants, milky fluid, rust, metal shavings or "glitter" in the fluid. When these transmissions are ridden hard they tend to start to smoke the syncos, especially in second and third, long before you have any real failure of the drivetrain. Bad syncos mean that gears grind... difficulties shifting are kind of odd.

Do the normal stuff first, check your fluid and just for the sake of being thorough have a good look at all things clutch before moving onto the next thing. Get under there and see if there is anything that sticks out about your transmission, strange leaks, ect. I'm curious about what you find going through it.

Has your Jeep sat for long periods of time unused?

Good luck! These slow deaths are super aggravating, hopefully you can find the cause before you have to get too deep.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
This is one of those things that is super difficult to diagnose over the internet, where are you located? *edit, just saw that you're in Alaska*

Have you drained your fluid? If not, it might be time to take it all the way down and see if there is anything odd about the fluid. Look for contaminants, milky fluid, rust, metal shavings or "glitter" in the fluid. When these transmissions are ridden hard they tend to start to smoke the syncos, especially in second and third, long before you have any real failure of the drivetrain. Bad syncos mean that gears grind... difficulties shifting are kind of odd.

Do the normal stuff first, check your fluid and just for the sake of being thorough have a good look at all things clutch before moving onto the next thing. Get under there and see if there is anything that sticks out about your transmission, strange leaks, ect. I'm curious about what you find going through it.

Has your Jeep sat for long periods of time unused?

Good luck! These slow deaths are super aggravating, hopefully you can find the cause before you have to get too deep.

Hey Thank you for the feedback. I did check for water in the fluid, and went ahead and changed it out. The clutch was also recently done, however this issue was present before doing the clutch job which included clutch, pressure plate, TOB, pilot bearing, and Slave Cylinder. I will check again soon to see if there are shavings in it, and also the longest it ever sat around was probably for about a month during some seasonal work.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Shifting like sandpaper