Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shimmy shimmy shake

Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Shimmy shimmy shake

To start with, I have searched lol my situation seems slightly different to the results.

So I have a slight shimmy in the steering wheels from 50-65 mph. Anything over or under the problem is not there. While it is doing its little shake the jeep itself holds straight. Alignment was done right after I bought it (8 weeks ago) and it was out. Pulled to the left pretty hard at high speeds at that time. Since then the alignment, Jeep is now all within parameters and no longer pulls but does still have the shimmy (although not nearly as bad as before).

All searching says it is tire or balance issues. This is where I feel my problem is different from what I am reading.

The solutions all point to tires. re-balance or alignment. I just had the alignment done and since it was off the tire had some abnormal wear on the drivers side. Instead of doing a re-balance I replaced all 5 with new wheels and tires balanced and mounted. Went from stocker to 33/12.5/15. Still have the shimmy. Not any better, maybe a small smidgen worse but I would attest that to the tires being wider.

For reference, Jeep wrangler sahara 6spd 2dr 2012 with 61k miles (rolled over 60k when I drove it off the lot)
Suspension is all stock.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

What's the tire pressure in each tire?

I had a similar situation where one of my tires had low pressure. I aired that tire up and the rest to ensure they all had the same amount of air in them and my shakes went away.

Another thing you will want to check and see is to make sure your front track bar bolts are torqued down good and tight. I believe 120 ft-lbs is the specified amount.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high but I will see what i can find. Also when my spare comes in will have them double check air pressure. Just would be strange for it to be tire pressure when I have same issue with 2 completely different sets.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

How are the shocks? Ball joints?

Just because the tires were balanced, does not mean it was done right. Doesn't hurt to have them re-balanced. (I have gone in for a balance/rotation with zero problems, and left the shop with bad shimmy. And I have gone in with a shimmy, and left with the same shimmy 'after' the balance. Turned around and had it done again by a different tech, and miraculously the shimmy went away.) They can make mistakes like anyone else.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

^^^ +1. Tire balance is only as good as the person+machine combination doing it that day. I've experienced the same as nthinuf on various vehicles over the years. Without going back in, you could swap rear to front and see if it changes anything at all.

I interpret this "shimmy" you're describing as this.....you're going 60mph down a flat road, and if you take your hands off the wheel it kinda jiggles back and forth slightly but the jeep still drives straight. Is that accurate?

What specific tires did you put on?
Old 06-21-2019, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah Resharp you have it spot on. I should record it just to post. Its just enough to be visible but not enough to cause an alarm. I just don't want it shaking anything loose. I have a friend with a shop that is going to check all the suspension bolts for me this evening. (I don't have a torque wrench rated high enough for track bar).

Tires were the Patagonia M/T. Have 6 jeep friends running them with zero issues. Only complaint so far is tread life doesn't seem to be whats advertised. Spare should come in today and Ill have them do another balance and rotation at that time just to see.

Like I said its not alarming by any means and from experience with another vehicle definitely not DW. I just don't want it to get to that point one day randomly. Trying to be proactive with the issue.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you were lifted, I'd point to caster, but that should be good if you're stock. Do keep in mind you have a brand new MT tire. Give it a little time to wear down and settle in. personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen this from time to time on my jeep and it drives straight as an arrow at 80mph. I think sometimes combination of road and tire more than an indication something is wrong. Now, if you were FEELING something while you're hands are on the wheel, THAT would be concerning to me. Our JKs have a very good habit of giving you an indication something is wrong, specially in the steering system.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you resharp. Hopefully it is something like that. It could absolutely be just new MT tires. I think my anxiety is due to stock ones doing it beforehand. Im still going to check out bolts on suspension later just for peace of mind. Ill try to keep you guys updated as they break in or anything develops. I live very close to my job so maybe put 700 miles a month on a vehicle. May take it for a drive up to the country just for a break in to see. And yes it is minor enough I can hold the wheel steady with 1 hand and barely feel the shake at all. Only when I let go of the wheel completely is it really visible.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Buy a 1/2" drive 50-250 ft lbs torque wrench....you'll get your money's worth out of it with a JK. Doesn't have to be Snap-On or anything. Lowes has a decent Kobalt model for under $100, and they pretty much will warranty that no questions asked in the store if anything ever goes wrong. I did lose 1 little star bolt on mine after owning it for years. Went to the store and they said go grab a new one off the shelf. Craftsman, Husky, or what not probably fine too. HF would be a judgement call, but probably fine for suspension work.

If you don't have a 2' 1/2" drive breaker bar, those are really handy too. Cheap HF model is fine.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

I plan on it. I have most everything else I could ever need to work on it but all my priors have been sports cars so in depth suspension is new to me. I do have a grand cherokee that I am rebuilding currently though also. Been a 2 year project and haven't touched suspension yet. Thing is the definition of money pit. and the wrangler I bought already has $3500 in parts on it as sits right now and was bought at the end of April. I'm trying to dodge buying any more stuff right now simply because I am married and would like to keep it that way lol

Quick Reply: Shimmy shimmy shake