Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shudder / Vibe on gentle braking.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration

I know what you are talking about. I have been getting this same vibration for the last 8 months or so, and I think it is getting worse. I get the vibration when I start off and when I am coming to a stop. It only occurs in the 5-10 MPH range. It definitley is not the braking system. I would guess to say it has something to do with the drivetrain, whether it is the front drive shaft or the differential. I am taking my jeep in for the header TSB in the next couple weeks and will have the dealer look into.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Did anyone find out what was the deal with this? I have been have the same thing happen to me but just after I installed my lift and tires.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlejohnny
Did anyone find out what was the deal with this? I have been have the same thing happen to me but just after I installed my lift and tires.
Mud terrains do this, some more than others. Usually more when they are new. I'd imagine they'd do it when not properly rotated aswell.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

watch rpms...

IF it is doing it around 1000-1200 rpm it is likley torque converter... these autos like to shimmy when the rpms are low. IF it stops if you let up on the gas or raise the rpms... you can actually watch it happen. I don't think there is a cure... I know some guys replaced them and still had the problem with the new one. Adding the lift and tires without a regear... makes it more pronounced. You can check just buy paying attention to the rpm... as you hear it shift- if your speed is too slow to keep rpm's up above that range- it will shudder (or at least many dodge trannys do...) just another possibility.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Do you have mud tires? The you can feel the lugs in the mud tires do this..
What I was thinking, I can feel every lug in mine below about 5 mph. Always been that way.

Holy crap, necro thread.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-30-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

mine does the same yea i think its the TC because when it starts i turned off o/d and it stopped...
Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

I know it's old but for anyone ever figure out the source of the problem? Cuz I cant figure it out.

Quick Reply: Shudder / Vibe on gentle braking.