Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Smoke on start up on my 2012?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Smoke on start up on my 2012?

Sorry I posted this in the Modified JK section first by mistake!
My 2012 has only 2500 miles on it, and it sometimes clatters (lifters not pumped up) like a motor with 50K on cold start-up. That I over looked because it was not everytime. This morning, however, it filled the garage with blue oil smoke. I called the dealer, they will keep it overnight and start it the next morning in front of me. Jeep DO NOT supply a rental car? Is that right? (I know it's not morally!) Anyone else having this problem? Thanks, Mark.

Last edited by Iwishsheweredead; 12-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Iwishsheweredead
Jeep DO NOT supply a rental car? Is that right? (I not it's not morally!)
I'm not sure what the part in the parentheses is supposed to say, but a lot of "low-end" car dealerships have gone away from supplying loaner cars. It's a great expense to the dealership, especially when you consider maintenance. Most of the "low-end" dealerships are utilizing a shuttle service, at your convenience.

For the record, when I say "low-end" I am mostly pointing out the American auto manufacturers... although I imagine the eradication of loaner programs deals more so with the woes the big three saw a few years back.

Last edited by Joe Boxer; 12-26-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No to both issues.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

That amount and color of smoke no, I have had "smoke" which is really steam coming from the front grill when it is raining or snowing and the jeep is at operating temp. This is what happens with electric fans when they are not on yet. The new variable speed fan with the 12s already has a bunch of people taking them back to the dealer mistakenly. My 01 XJ has dual electric derale fans and it freaked me out when I first installed them. Completely normal when a fan isn't on to pull the steam from rain/snow hitting the radiator through the engine compartment. We are just not used to seeing it with mech fans that are always turning.

Keep us posted on the results....

Quick Reply: Smoke on start up on my 2012?