Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

So strange!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So strange!

So, yesterday i was looking around my jeep and i decided to check the oil via the dip stick. When I pulled it out, there was barely enough oil to even show up on the stick. I had changed the oil about 2.500 miles ago. No stains on the drive way or anything..... To top it off.. i checked out the coolant level and it was below the minimum mark. Next to the cap it looked like it had over heated and blown off the excess from there. maybe from being low on oil it got too hot?! anyways any ideas on where the oil went. When i drained it yesterday there was prob 3 quarts left in it.

thanks for your help,
marc
Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had this same problem (but only with the oil) when i first got the jeep after about 5,000 km and i thought maybe it was low to begin with so i filled it up and re-checked after about another 5k and the same thing happened so took to the dealer and told them to check it.
they told me they found nothing wrong, so i rechecked it again and there was no problem, never happened since, i dont know what they did but they fixed it and said there was no probs with the jeep ??? makes me wonder....
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search the TSB sticky top of this forum for:
3.8L Engine Oil Seepage Due To Front Timing Cover Surface Porosity
Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

One to two quart burn off is normal. Any dealership mechanic will tell you this. They will tell you that it is normal and not to worry until you start seeing a drip or actual BLUE smoke coming from your tail pipe. Oil is burnt via the valves and sucked into the combustion chamber via the PCV valve as a vapor.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Pull your spark plugs and label them as you go. If you see one or two that are black or oily, then you may have a problem. Could be piston rings or valve guide.

If you pull them and they all loook good, tan and dry, then perhaps you added the oil and to the proper level with a dry oil filter and with the vehicle on an incline enough to affect the reading.

You prolly already know but oil should be added to the correct level. Then run the engine for a minute or so. Turn of and allow oil to return for another minute or two then recheck and add if nessasary.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Mine is in the process of having the dealer monitor the oil consumption. Had them change the oil last week. They told me to check it and if I feel I have to add any then come by and let them do it. Mine has gone through 1.5 - 2 liters between oil changes. However, doesn't seem to be going through it as quickly since they changed the oil.

I know some oil burning can be considered normal, but IMO, 2L is excessive.
I doubt they'll end up doing anything about it though, the service advisor said Chrysler won't do anything about it unless it's burning 1 Liter every 1300kms, which mine is not.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Ive had the same thing, checked oil yesterday.....No reading whatsoever. Stopped at dealer, they told me there was no TSB's out there......I'm out of warranty so this is a big concern for me. I will be checking levels every 1000 miles now.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

See my thread about the porosity timing cover oil leak TSB. Also check this https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/tsb-recall-information-2366/ for recalls
Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

My Durango used to do the same thing and it turned out to be a bad intake manifold gasket allowing the oil to be drawn into the manifold and burned with the fuel air mixture. Not enough to smoke or show any real signs. I know its a different engine but if it is not leaking out it is something to think about. CM

Quick Reply: So strange!