Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft Top

Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top

This is the first time to post. I am thinking about buying a soft top (OEM) from someone on Craig's list. I have to travel about 500 miles to go pick it up if things go well. I just want to make sure I pick all the parts that I need. My 2 door JK has came with a hard top.

Here are my questions.

1) What are the parts that I should get? ie. door frame, bows, the actual top, windows, etc.

2) Is there any way that I can assure that the top that I am buying is compatible with my JK by asking the softtop's part number and confirm with a Jeep dealer or something?

I apprecite your help!

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

How much are you really saving by driving 500 miles each way to pick it up?

Thats 1000 miles...Approx 63 gallons @ $3 a gallon thats almost 200 bucks!

Not to mention being on the road for 15 hours! Unless they are giving it away!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that's a bit long and expensive of a drive just for a soft top, but to specifically answer your questions:

1) Soft top, side windows, rear window, rear window retainer bar, rear window retainer bar clips, front door panel guides, screws. The frame is built into the top.

2) Best way to confirm it works is to install it! Just bring your T30,40, and 50 heads with you and take that hard top off..or better yet, drive to pick it up topless! If you take the hard top off, you could install the softop to make sure it works, then take it down and put your hard top back on. The jeep ships with both tops installed, so you can definately have them both on. You just don't want to keep it that way.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by souvlaki99
How much are you really saving by driving 500 miles each way to pick it up?

Thats 1000 miles...Approx 63 gallons @ $3 a gallon thats almost 200 bucks!

Not to mention being on the road for 15 hours! Unless they are giving it away!
I agree with Souvlaki99!!!!! If you only had to drive 5 miles maybe, but buying anything through Craigslist is a crap shoot. Order it from quadratec or any other aftermarket dealer and save your gas as well as any headaches!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't know what kind of deal you are getting but they are poppin up on ebay alot lately you might be better off looking at one of those.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Just bought a brand new still in the box soft top off Ebay for $800 and the shipping is just $60 there are quite a few on Ebay at the moment.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

About how much do they run from the dealer?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Around $1400 4dr and about $1200 for 2dr.

Last edited by Spozzie; 07-31-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spozzie
Around $1400
That's a nice savings off ebay. Saw one for unlimited on there the other day. Starting price was $99. That didn't stay there very long.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I agree that's a bit long and expensive of a drive just for a soft top, but to specifically answer your questions:

1) Soft top, side windows, rear window, rear window retainer bar, rear window retainer bar clips, front door panel guides, screws. The frame is built into the top.

2) Best way to confirm it works is to install it! Just bring your T30,40, and 50 heads with you and take that hard top off..or better yet, drive to pick it up topless! If you take the hard top off, you could install the softop to make sure it works, then take it down and put your hard top back on. The jeep ships with both tops installed, so you can definately have them both on. You just don't want to keep it that way.

First, I thank everyone for the reply. I did the calculation, too before I considered this deal and I can still save a lot of money than paying $1300, brand new. It will be a good excuse to go on a road trip, too! E-bay shows a lot of Unlimited soft tops atpretty good prices, but not so on 2 door Soft top. I am out of town and I might just call the person to see how trustwothy that person is.

I really appreciate JackMacOKC's reply for telling me what exactly I should expect to get when I decide to go with this deal.

The concern is that many people mentioned that the deals on Craig's list are not worthy.

One question, is front door panel guide the part that you attach Safari Top? My understanding is that you will have a gap between doors and Safari top without the front door panel guide?

Again, thanks everyone for the reply.

Quick Reply: Soft Top