Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Installation Intructions?

Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Scouter's post got me thinking...if you got it used make sure you have ALL the required parts before removing the hard top.
I bought an unlimited with dual tops and was fortunate enough to have noticed one of the two boxes it was supposed to be shipped with was missing.
I had the box with the side and rear windows but not the one with the top-to-door framing parts and associated hardware!!
The dealer had to cough up all the parts individually and it took about a week for them to be shipped in. They can't seem to order up the complete package as one part number.
I posted the list of part #'s about a year ago and I think it was a thread titled 'missing soft top parts'.
You should have gotten 4 long threaded knobbed bolts/2 shorter ones/2 straight plastic front door frames/2 L-shaped rears(folding).

Just remembered that you may also want to make sure you have the 2 torx head bolts to attach the roof bows to the rear roll bar uprights under the padding.
Good call there Gargoyle. Another common missing item are the brackets that attach to the roll bar.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Goose, you here in Dgo yet? PM me and I'll give you a hand. I've done it twice now working from the manual and it's not too bad. I'll be doing it again in another month or so.
I wish we were there. The weather down there is a lot nicer than it is here. Just snowed another 6" last night. Won't be moving until end of May.
I think I'm going to be doing the swap in Moab in a few weeks. It's the best place I have to store the hardtop right now, so I'll just cart the soft top down, swap them, and go from there. It's good to know that you've done it from the manual. You're probably smarter than I am (doesn't take much, just ask my wife,) but I hope I can figure it out. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
It's not much more than what they show in the manual, but here's a few key points I've noticed when completely removing the top.
  • Lay the top on the back folded, as if it were attached.
  • Attach the arms to the bracket on the roll bar (attach the bracket if you took it off), a little easier with two people, but can be done with one.
  • There are two plastic pieces that hook onto the back for the rear window bar, you'll see the spot when you hold it over there, but basically it's just next to the opening.
  • The rest is just putting the top up like normal. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the front channel seal and whether you need to install that or not.
Thanks for that scouter, I'll print this out and stick in the manual for when I swap the tops. The more I know up front, the better.

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Scouter's post got me thinking...if you got it used make sure you have ALL the required parts before removing the hard top.
I bought an unlimited with dual tops and was fortunate enough to have noticed one of the two boxes it was supposed to be shipped with was missing.
I had the box with the side and rear windows but not the one with the top-to-door framing parts and associated hardware!!
The dealer had to cough up all the parts individually and it took about a week for them to be shipped in. They can't seem to order up the complete package as one part number.
I posted the list of part #'s about a year ago and I think it was a thread titled 'missing soft top parts'.
You should have gotten 4 long threaded knobbed bolts/2 shorter ones/2 straight plastic front door frames/2 L-shaped rears(folding).

Just remembered that you may also want to make sure you have the 2 torx head bolts to attach the roof bows to the rear roll bar uprights under the padding.
Thanks for that. I went through the stuff when I got the top and it seemed that everything that I could imagine was there. I picked the top up from an active forum member, so if he forgot something it shouldn't be too difficult to get. Any idea if the parts list above is just the 4 door or does it apply to the 2 door as well? I'll go through things again to make sure. I don't want to pull the hard top and then put it right back on.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Former Member

Parts list above is for a four door hence Unlimited.
The reason I posted something may be missing is because some people only want a bikini top and sell the original full top but need some of the hardware that doesn't come with the aftermarket bikinis eg. door frames and bolts.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

If You need to know all the parts ,go to the dealer.Ask the parts person to print the page for soft tops.All parts and numbers are listed. I have never had a parts person decline that request.It makes his job easier, when a part is needed. Just piont and order.
Tell service writer You need better instructions installing the top,and ask him to print them

Last edited by jelvis; 04-01-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Goose;413946You're probably smarter than I am (doesn't take much, just ask my wife,) but I hope I can figure it out. Thanks![/QUOTE]

It hit 60 yesterday and the winds died down. I'm hopin' to get the front half of the lift and my taxes done this weekend. I think it's part of the marriage contract for our wives to think that seeing how it's a legal thing and all. I just really want to know why it is only our wives are allowed to read that contract.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I just found my soft top screws and I have 8 in total. I can figure out where the pivot screws go but what about the other 4? They look like regular wood screws with a philips head. They must of came from the soft top cause I put them away last fall, I just can't remember if they were for the JK or not.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Installation Intructions?