Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Question.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Question.

I KNOW THERES A MILLION THREADS ABOUT THE SOFT TOP LEAK,BUT IM AT WORK AND DONT HAVE TIME TO READ THROUGH THEM ALL. i JUST DROPPED THE JEEP OFF AT THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY ARE GIVING ME HELL ABOUT THE LEAK. i HAVE A CEL THEY ARE GOING TO FIX BUT THEY SAID THEY HIRED A GUY SPECIFICALLY FOR THE LEAKS BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY. SO, IT WILL BE A WEEK BEFOR THEY CAN GET TO THE LEAK. WHAT DOES THE FIX ACTUALLY CONSIST OF? IS IT SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the dealerships are having much success in dealing with leaky soft tops.

My soft top had one area that it leaked during a driving rain.
The leak was underneath where the front and rear door surrounds met (4 door), I put about 2 inches of weather stripping and it never leaked again.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

I have owned several convertibles over my years, including a Jeep TJ, a British TR-6 and a Corvette and they all will leak given the right circumstances. Is your leak a drip drip in a driving down pour or is water pouring in in a light rain? Most likely something is dirty, not fitting perfectly or things are at just the wrong angle.

I have had a leak in my 'Vette, removed the top, cleaned the seals and wiped them down with spray silicone grease and the leaked stopped. At least for a long while. My soft top now will give some occasional drips in a hard rain, or I will see some drips after i wash her, but come on....Guys, your driving a Jeep Wrangler...Not a Lexus or Mercedes. Find me a convertible that NEVER leaks and I will show you one that has or will. Jeep Wranglers are supposed to be noisy, crude trucks that creek rattle roll and...yes...leak and get horrible gas mileage. That is what makes em fun. I traded an S class Mercedes for my JK and knew what to expect and love it.

Don't expect so much from a Wrangler...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
I have owned several convertibles over my years, including a Jeep TJ, a British TR-6 and a Corvette and they all will leak given the right circumstances. Is your leak a drip drip in a driving down pour or is water pouring in in a light rain? Most likely something is dirty, not fitting perfectly or things are at just the wrong angle.

I have had a leak in my 'Vette, removed the top, cleaned the seals and wiped them down with spray silicone grease and the leaked stopped. At least for a long while. My soft top now will give some occasional drips in a hard rain, or I will see some drips after i wash her, but come on....Guys, your driving a Jeep Wrangler...Not a Lexus or Mercedes. Find me a convertible that NEVER leaks and I will show you one that has or will. Jeep Wranglers are supposed to be noisy, crude trucks that creek rattle roll and...yes...leak and get horrible gas mileage. That is what makes em fun. I traded an S class Mercedes for my JK and knew what to expect and love it.

Don't expect so much from a Wrangler...

I think that was very well said. I know the leak might be anoying and I would hate to have it, but its a jeep.

You are right there is no convertible made that has been 100% leak proof. It just can't happen.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

I've had two separate leaks that started without warning. I found that both were very easily fixed because the weather stripping had been just ever so slightly out of place. If by chance you don't have an eye for minor imperfections it would be a pain in the ars finding it. I'm not implying that this is what has happened here, I'm just putting it out there for those reading this that if you are able to spot minor variances then take a real close look before you just head out to the dealer so you waste a day or two for nothing. My last leak was caused by a grey-ish, black spongy piece of stripping that had worn a little nipple-esque piece off that was hanging and channeled the run off water just enough to deviate the flow toward the interior. So it warrants a closer look if you have the eye.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

i woke up to a puddle of water on the dash and in the cluster, the entire sitting part of the seat and carpet were soaked. I can deal with a little leak, that no problem, this is a little leak that had dripped all night long and i dont want a brand new leaky jeep.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The Diesel
i woke up to a puddle of water on the dash and in the cluster, the entire sitting part of the seat and carpet were soaked. I can deal with a little leak, that no problem, this is a little leak that had dripped all night long and i dont want a brand new leaky jeep.
You most likely have something just slightly out of alignment or dirty. Like BOLSAK=3 said, it doesnt take much.

If you don't want a brand new leaky Jeep, then you need to go to a Grand Charokee. They should never leak. Anything with a soft top this big will leak now and again, and if it is too big, then something is wrong with the fitment.

Part of Wrangler (or any other convertible for that matter) ownership.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Question.