Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Rear Panel Failure

Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Rear Panel Failure

I went on a road trip this weekend from Baton Rouge La to Gulf Shores Al. About 250 miles. I never went over 75 mph. When I was unloading the Jeep at the condo I noticed my rear sail panels (the hard panels at the rear of the soft top)were pushed in. Not out like normal. Has this been a problem for anyone else?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

What was the soft top configuration? I know with the back window rolled up and my power windows down there is a heavy vacuum effect on the interior. I can see my side windows caving in. Maybe they absorbed the panels too at that speed. I try not to go so fast with that setup.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
I went on a road trip this weekend from Baton Rouge La to Gulf Shores Al. About 250 miles. I never went over 75 mph. When I was unloading the Jeep at the condo I noticed my rear sail panels (the hard panels at the rear of the soft top)were pushed in. Not out like normal. Has this been a problem for anyone else?
I am having a difficult time envisioning exactly what you are talking about...But I am willing to bet that you had the window open at somepoint while driving at 75mph. I have noticed that when I drive on the highway with top up, if I am driving over 65mph the wind can really whip the softtop around..so I could see it how it could pull something out etc. What I tend to do now when driving on he highway with the softtop up; If I am by myself and I want the window open, I will open the front drivers side window and the rear passenger side window I have noticed that by doing this the wind goes in and out smoothly and also Significantly reduces the wind noise and also almost eliminates having the softtop getting ripped around.

Hope this helps somewhat.

-Lou
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

I had the windows up and a/c on the whole way. I dont recall opening the window at any point. I did notice that my side windows were not sucking in while on the hwy.
Thanks for the advice trick50. I will give this a try next time im on the hwy for an extended period of time.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

with the door windows rolled down the side panels suck in a bit really not a problem... With the windows rolled up and no panels off the soft top is very taunght

Quick Reply: Soft Top Rear Panel Failure