Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top scratching paint

Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top scratching paint

I just took my soft top down 2 days ago w/ the nice weather. It has been up all winter. When I took it down I noticed that there was a line of dust and dirt on the rear quarters just above the brake lights. Looking inside the cover I saw that some dirt collected on the plastic that rests against the paint there. When I cleaned off the dirt there is some scratching and wear on the clearcoat, in some areas down to no clear. Has anyone else noticed this. I am worried that over time it is going to do more damage to the paint. I waxed the area and cleaned out the plastic inside the top. Any other ways to prevent this??? BTW This was the first time I took down the top since I bought the JK in early winter.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

I havent noticed the problem yet. I saw a clear film at Advance Auto that is sold as a paint protectant. I am not familiar with it. I assume it's peel and stick. I believe it would work but you'd probably have to remove the wax and trim to fit the areas of wear.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how much damage it can do. I noticed some scratching on the channels where the soft top windows hook into the body. Also, the header latches have scratched the heck out of the loops they connect to.

Maybe some TJ guys can chime in here???
Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine's done the same thing, and it's getting worse. That clear film that Bodo was talking about would be a good idea...I used some on a previous vehicle to prevent rock chips.....cut it, peel off the backing, and stick it....really easy to use, I might go ahead and do that on mine...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I might try that clear film, sounds like a good solution.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

i put some on the week i bought mine. Knew right away that would be a high wear area only having paint on it. Works great, tho id recommend putting it on wet, i have alot of air bubbles in mine
Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the 'Lange Paint Saver' film on the top edge of my JK tub and have been really impressed by the protection it gives. Precut thick plastic film

Quick Reply: soft top scratching paint