Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top is so LOUD!?!?!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
I have noticed that the seal at the front of the soft top (right above the visors) easily comes off on hot days.

I have had that seal come off in my hands while lowering the top, and have reset it each time. Perhaps that seal has come off of yours and you didn't even realize it. That would explain the excessive wind noise.

Next time you lower your top, look at each side of that hard plastic. You should see two foam seal about 2 inches or so in length, one on each side.

If you are missing one I would imagine you could get some silicon window sealant from a hardware store and that would work better that those silly foam ones.
i think this might be my problem The first day i put the top down two little foam strips fell on the ground...i didnt know where they went so i stuck em anywhere..... Does anyone have a picture of where these buggers go?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

I started a thread in JK talk about this same thing. I don't think I even have these pieces you are talking about. I will check later today. Mine is really loud at high speeds. sounds like the wind is coming in around my old rusted out CJ windshield frame.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARsahara
Solution: Get a hard top

Originally Posted by dmerc
then all you'd hear is the water drops on your head!
oh snap!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default "Its a convertable its going to make some noise"-Service Manager

So I have had the same problem of the horrible wind noise behind the passenger visor. I had this at the dealership for the Windsheild header replacement. First time they tried to give it back to me the noise was worse than when i brought it in. So I had them keep it because I was in a rental because they installed a manuf. defecitive 2" lift. So the next day I get a call from the service manager and he said he had his windsheild guys come and look at it again and they noticed some of the windsheild header was up in a few places and re glued it. SO...I thought maybe that was the issue so I drove the 30 miles there again. Also this was when the famous quote came from the service manager "Its a convertable its going to make some noise". So I told the guy to prove it. I said I want to test drive a brand new '08. However it turned out they had preselected one that was supposed to be making the same noise. So reluctanly I test drove this new one with my service advisor. And i was totaly amazed how much quiteter this new one that supposedly had the same soft top noise. So then right after this I had my service advisor test drive in my jeep and instanly he noticed the noise and was irritated with it and was like if it were his car he would want it fixed to. So this morning he talked to his manager and they decided they needed me to come back up so they could take pictures to send to DCX so they could replace my soft top. SO i guess we will see where this goes...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Default Top up - top down...

Ours has been almost like a teeter totter and with one exception - it is very quiet - not quite as much as the hard top but really nice...

As for the exception...

Noticed one time that the top wasn't completely in the groove in the front. It let me clamp everything down and seemed on but at speed - noisier than all get out.

We returned and popped the front clamps - made sure it was in the channels and down tight and then clamped again.

Never a noise since...

Good luck

(ps try repressed's note if you can't just reclamp the front too!)
Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need a picture of where those little foam weather strips go!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just curious, how many with noisey softops, ALSO have the bug shield??
As I think back, that's about when mine started. We can pull down on the header going down the road, no difference.....push up on the rearmost rubber strip running the width of the header, no difference.....no air coming in that we can feel anywhere along the windshield. I'm beginning to think that damn bug screen is kicking up turbulence at the windshield.

Years ago, I had one of the old style straight up and down bugshields on a Ranger pickup.....and immediately, on the first drive, you couldn't bare to have a window down. The turbulence was absolutely unbelievable!!

I'm gonna' pull the bug shield off later this week, see if it's any better. My wife couldn't believe how much louder it is now! Doesn't seem to help the bug problem anyhow!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

clear shield works alot better than a bug shield and doesnt change wind noises. I dont have a bug shield and i do have the soft top noise.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone gotten anything resolved with any of the issues mentioned in this thread? My soft top is so loud that I am thinking of not using it next year.

thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone, I can guarantee you will have no noise if you invest 20 dollars on 1 1/4 inch wide weatherstripping along the front soft top bow that meats the windshield . I did it to stop the leaks and it succeeded in doing so along with quieting the car as much as when I have my hard top on...no kidding! it really worked ..it's the soft stuff with sticky backing , you just remove the tape and run it along the entire front lip, it actually gives it a good tight fit. I think part of that noise is caused from the channel in the rubber that runs along the header of the windshield..when you close the top they don't squeeze together properly leaving space for the air to circulate causing noise. But after adding the weatherstripping it actually acts like memory foam and fills in any open space making it impossible for anything to get in. I picked mine up at Home depot they had varying sizes...give it a try.

Quick Reply: Soft Top is so LOUD!?!?!