Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top is so LOUD!?!?!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe because that doesn't work for everyone. My dealer tried that, and it still leaks. Not to mention that the weatherstrip does not stay put. Brought mine in today for the final repair attempt and before I left, the service manager got out a hose (his idea) while I and a repair tech sat in the Jeep and watched him run water along the roof line. It leaked like a sieve and my whole right leg got soaked. POS!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay...not to step on any toes...but it may be because your dealer did it!
I went to home depot and bought the widest with super stick backing...I can assure you that is not what they used so go ahead keep bringing it to the dealer and letting them literally soak ya!
Sorry I had to it was to good to pass up.....but really I am not a genius but if you lived near by I am 100% sure it would work for your top ..mine leaked really bad and it was like night and day after using the foam tape that by the way is nothing like what you would get at a dealership....did you take a look at what they used on the corners. It's no wonder the jeeps were all leaking okay just wanted to help but if you don't think it can ...i'm sure your right there were a few people who tried what I did and wrote that it worked for them so yours must be an extreme case but I'm telling you my map pockets and rugs used to get soaked along with the seats and I only needed that to happen once before I reacted. Funny that Chrysler still has not acknowledged !!!!
I have had 4 jeeps in the past and not one ever leaked hard or soft top. This is the first and I can proudly say "I" fixed it!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

First off, I do believe that they used the right kind of weatherstrip. I inspected after I picked up the vehicle and it even had the ridge in it that you are talking about from molding to and filling in the windshield header channel. Second, in the words of my service rep, the weatherstripping is really only a "band-aid" to solve the larger problem of leaking and poorly designed top. He truly wanted a better sollution for me. Proof of this is in the fact that A) my JK still leaked after installing it and B) that the damn stuff came unglued at highway speeds with the top up!!

I had to pull over cause I thought I had a flat tire or a shot wheel bearing or something. I kept hearing this awefull noise. Turns out it was because my weatherstripping was 90 percent unglued and flapping against my soft top. So to me, DCX and Best Top need to address the issue and fix these piece of shit tops. I truly am glad that your fix worked for you; it did not for me.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaleenPowr
I for one am pissed with my soft top. The first five months the top was great. No loud wind noise, very few drips and I was happy. Then one of the seams pulled apart and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Even since I got the new top on, the wind noise has been unbearable at all speeds. There is no water but I can't even have a conversation with the person next to me most of the time. I have noticed that the lip of my soft top does not sit perfectly flush with my windsheild gasket. It looks like it bows up just a tiny bit...enough for wind to reak havoc. I have tried the tubing on the clamps, the weather stripping on the windshield but nothing works.

The only way to get the wind noise to go away to normal levels is if I am driving I twist upward on the header bracket so to push the front of it down more. I am going to take it back to the dealer, once again, to fix it.
X2. My top was leaking. I took it in and they replaced the top. NO wind noise before the new top and now its loud as hell. I called my sevrice advisor and told her about it. She talked to the guys that put it on and they said it has to stretch and that the noise will get better. Well 3 days later its still loud as hell and I am leaving on an 8 hour trip on Monday. I am gonna try the weather strip stuff to see if that works.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default 6th soft top...

My 2007 Unlimited is my 7th CJ/Wrangler...and 6th with a soft top...I can honestly say that it's the quietest, and (knock on wood) I haven't had one problem with leaks...the top came down 8-10 times this summer with no problems...I do totally remove the soft top and bows, rather than leaving it on the vehicle when it's down...good luck with you r problems...

Quick Reply: Soft Top is so LOUD!?!?!