Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top tearing while in sunrider position

Old 07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top tearing while in sunrider position

Ok, Went to a local club clam bake and decided to fold back the top. All is well but it started to get very windy on the way to the cape. After we got to the cape 120 miles I noticed when I got out of the Jeep that were the top folds it is tearing.

Anyone else have their top tear in the fold on both sides? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to explain to them to see what they will do about it?

Figures because it doesn't leak it has to tear.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No man, jeez, but I only go about 30 miles at a time with it down, but it's 70 MPH when I do, and I do it a lot, 30 miles twice a day, no issues, but it's only got 3100 miles right now.
Do you secure it with the straps and open the back window, although I don't see how either could contribute.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got any pics of the offending area?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

ARGGGGG!!!! I've been doing it wrong for the last 2 years! Watched the video and realized I was supose to fold over several times. I never got straps with mine so I went searching to find out what you were talking about and found the video. Once I saw the video I nearly screamed as it's not even the way the dealer showed me to flip it back.

Now I will have to monitor the tear and hope it doesn't grow. By the way, It poured buckets last night and I ran out to check for leaks at the tear. Nothing... Dry...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

So you didin't do the intermediate fold where the edge has a molded vee where it folds?

I did not get straps either, but went back tot he dealer and the sales guy just let me take a set off the lot. Did you get the two straps (loops) with the snap? they are used to hold up the rear window. I had them but had no idea what they were for ..until this site.

Quick Reply: Soft top tearing while in sunrider position