Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Solid Axle = outer tire wear?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dronac
It's 8''. I'm sure of it. I'll grab some pics after work and post them up. I don't think it's cupping since it seems to be just the edge of the tread blocks wearing. The tread blocks themselves seem to be all even.
Ahh. ok. Well I'd say your good there. Honestly I'd say its either from cornering, or if none of your other tires show it...yet...which they obviously will if you rotate regularly, then mabe ball joints are going, but I'm sure they would have discovered this during an alignment.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Here are the pics. The first is the inside edge of my spare (easier to get a pic. It is kept in rotation)

And here are two examples of the outer edge of two tires,

Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Increase pressure and rotate tires on regular basis.

Edit: the pics of your spare doesn't look like a wear issue, looks like the tire was not formed correctly when manufactured. I had same problem with one of my GY duratracs. Here's a pic.

Attachment 206031

Using that tire as a spare. It's yet to see the road.

Last edited by lopezv123; 09-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

The outer edge is some what normal like that from cornering. Also pressure, over or under can exacerbate the problem.

Quick Reply: Solid Axle = outer tire wear?