Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Something is wrong and engine light came on

Old 06-02-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is wrong and engine light came on

Yesterday on the way to work my JK - Rubicon felt like it jerked a little after starting from a red light. I turned down the radio to pay closer attention but it didn't happen any more. At lunch I started off and all of sudden it started again and the engine light came on. I pulled over and checked things out and came to the analysis it was differential / transmission not the engine. I drove about 2 miles back to work and tested some things. Backing up it acts like the emergency break is on, in 4X4 about 2 miles an hour it feels like the emegency break is on and it is just dragging the wheels. With 4500 miles i am a little frustrated. I am towing it in to be worked on Monday. I hope all is just fine or easily fixable. Any ideas - what the heck is going on? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2007, 04:31 PM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Do you hear any ticking noises that sounds consistent w/ your wheels or axles turning? I experienced something similar, but not nearly as severe as what you're describing, the day before my front axle totally failed.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

nope - but thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ticking

Originally Posted by aas
Do you hear any ticking noises that sounds consistent w/ your wheels or axles turning? I experienced something similar, but not nearly as severe as what you're describing, the day before my front axle totally failed.
I definetly heard a ticking noise today that I had not heard before. I havent had any other problems though, please keep us posted if you find out anything.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atal72
I definetly heard a ticking noise today that I had not heard before. I havent had any other problems though, please keep us posted if you find out anything.
I'd recommend taking it into the dealership and reporting it. It may help you tremendously in the future if your axle does fail. It seems that about half of the dealerships are giving customers a hard time about covering those repairs under warranty.

Quick Reply: Something is wrong and engine light came on