Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sounds like brake noise... HELP!!!!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like brake noise... HELP!!!!

I have a JEEP Wrangler Sahara JK 2009 two door Automatic with towing package. No other mods and completely dealer serviced since new. Getting close to 95,000 miles.
I am perplexed with where this noise comes from... and frankly, so is the dealer!
This may have been going on for some time now, but, with windows rolled up with air conditioning on we probably did not hear it.
I am getting what sounds like a scraping or creaking sound as my brakes are applied lightly when slowing down to a stop. If I press on the brakes firmly... there is no noise at all. The noise also is related to the rpm of the wheels... very fast noise until the Jeep slows to a stop, with the noise slowing down as well. There is no pulsing in the steering wheel and no pulling to one side as it comes to a stop.
Several weeks ago upon bringing it in for this noise... they said the rotors were a little rusty and they turned all 4 rotors down. The noise came back just the same. A week after, I told them the noise was back. The dealer said I have a wheel bearing starting to make noise... on the same wheel I think the problem noise is coming from. So... they replaced the bearing today.... the service manager called me and said the noise is still there and will need it overnight to work on tomorrow.
I trust these guys completely... they have been very very good in the past... and even saved me money and time and efforts in many other repairs. So... I am not upset at this point.
Last week I took the service manager out for a ride and he finally heard it... light braking at slower speeds, seemingly coming from the right front. As I drove the Jeep in Wednesday morning his assistant manager heard it and his eyes followed the front right wheel as I pulled it into the service area. I asked him if he heard it and he said yes indeed he did.
Tomorrow makes 3 days in the shop... and as of this late afternoon... the noise cannot be found... but only heard! Has anyone had this or know of this problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The tires/wheels have been rotated, brakes checked all around, rotors turned and one bearing just starting to be noisy has been replaced. Still noise when braking lightly!
HELP...
Ralph & Peggy
Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know when you find out, mine does the exact same thing. Figured the rotor was warped or something because thats the only thing I haven't fixed
Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you had it in any sandy mud? I added cross drilled and slotted rotors to my Jeep a couple of years ago. They installed Hawk pads at the same time. Those brake pads are slotted, to allow for heat dissipation. I put my Jeep through the rocks on occasion, but no mud really. However, about 2 years ago I buried it into some really sandy mud while trying to catch back up to the group. (Short-cut, not so short) Long story short, about a year and a half later I started hearing light squealing and grinding on light braking. I put less than 1000 miles per year on my Jeep. It drove me crazy, so I finally decided to put new brake pads on the front. Once I got the only brake pads off, I saw the problem. That sandy mud built up in the slots of those brake pads. The noises I heard were from the sand grinding down on the rotors. Just a thought!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Is your piston completely releasing or is it maybe dragging a little bit that could be causing the noise? It sucks to be at the point of throwing parts at it to try and solve an issue.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

If I had a 2009 with brake noise I would change the rotors and pads. It's not very expensive and it's easy to do. Can't believe the dealer cut down the rotors. I never do that. Just spend a little extra and replace them with new. Then if the noise is still there you can try to see if it's bearing or caliper related.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
If I had a 2009 with brake noise I would change the rotors and pads. It's not very expensive and it's easy to do. Can't believe the dealer cut down the rotors. I never do that. Just spend a little extra and replace them with new. Then if the noise is still there you can try to see if it's bearing or caliper related.
I absolutely agree. I'm not sure what they charged to turn them, but you can get a full set of Powerstop front and rear cross drilled/slotted rotors and brake pads from 4 Wheel Parts for $286 shipped right now. That also includes brake pads.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

I had the same issue before and it just started back again. After swapping out several different brands of pads and new rotors I found the issue. My issue was the metal sliders that the pads slide in and out when the brake was applied. Mine were slightly loose and after driving when I would slightly brake it would cause screeching. I found this was the issue by just removing them and putting the pads in . I took the jeep for a ride and there was absolutely no sound. I thought about running without them but figured they were there for a reason so I replaced them.I bought new clips and installed them with enough brake grease on them and mine were quiet for a while(2 years). It seems that the clips are loose again and my screeching is back. Trust me I know your aggravation. A pack of those for all four brakes is around $10. Worth a shot.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

My 2007 JK did the same thing, installed a big brake kit on it and it only got worse!

Ended up being a bent rear axle shaft. Before I bought the Jeep in 2015, it had never been off-road. Just food for thought.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
Let me know when you find out, mine does the exact same thing. Figured the rotor was warped or something because thats the only thing I haven't fixed
I have not heard from the service manager yet this morning... But reading all these comments help in trying to figure this out. I don't have the dates... but the brakes had been replaced within the last couple of months. So... everything seems to be new or checked or replaced in that right front area.

I am also finding that this is not an exclusive Jeep issue or a Wrangler issue. I saw a youtube video late last night with a regular car (sedan) having this same issue. With his window rolled down, it sounded the same as he slowly came to a stop with light brake pressure.

Like I said earlier... I trust these guys at the dealer... they have saved me money in the past... and served me very well. Although I agree that there may not have been a very big need of turning all 4 rotors. (did not solve this problem)

I hope I get a call this morning with a solution.
Ralph
Old 10-09-2016, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked at the emergency brake? The parts are hidden behind the rear rotor. Most people neglect to look at it.

Quick Reply: Sounds like brake noise... HELP!!!!