Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark Plug Torque specifications.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do It

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Has anyone changed out there OE champion plugs to iridium yet?
My '98 Olds intrigue came stock with iridium plugs, I sold the vehicle with 162,000 miles on the clock, not the first miss, absolutely NO electrode wear. This type of plug is SUPERB, I will change a set of plugs in a heartbeat, but these plugs will absolutely end spark plug changes for you.....( AC brand )

Last edited by TINMAN080; 10-19-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Yall need to remember also, slob a liberal amount of anti-seize on the spark plug threads too.

If the plug shell is black or plain steel, however, you should put some antiseize to the threads, and reduce the applied torque by about 30 to 40%.

Do not use antiseize if the plug shell is nickel or has been precoated. Antiseize acts like a lubricant and may allow too much torque to be applied to the plugs, damaging the treads in the cylinder head.
The following users liked this post:
Python (03-05-2021)
Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia

If the plug shell is black or plain steel, however, you should put some antiseize to the threads, and reduce the applied torque by about 30 to 40%.

Do not use antiseize if the plug shell is nickel or has been precoated. Antiseize acts like a lubricant and may allow too much torque to be applied to the plugs, damaging the treads in the cylinder head.

The service manual states to apply anti-seize and to torque to 13 foot pounds. I would not reduce the amount of torque because you put anti-seize on.
Python (03-05-2021)
Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc_D
The service manual states to apply anti-seize and to torque to 13 foot pounds. I would not reduce the amount of torque because you put anti-seize on.
Thanks Doc. if it says that in the service manual then who am i to argue! Thanks for the advice.
Python (03-05-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check the work of the dealer

After having the crankshaft position sensor replaced and the plugs changed at the dealer here in MD... started running rough again. Personally changed plug wires, not sure how they didn't notice the wire hanging by a thread... Changing the plugs myself... not happy with my left bank discovery ... 2 different plug types? Really

2 distinctly different plugs.

An obviously severed plug wire. Dealer should have noticed.

Last edited by Jay2013jk; 02-28-2021 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Dealership named.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Looking at the plugs.. I might question if they were changed.. How long ago.. IMO go back and request a refund from the dealership. BTW.. MOPAR / Champion Plugs work best.
Python (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also doubt they even changed the other plugs. I put brand new double platinum champions all around. I will see how that works. I will be talking to the service manager and requesting a refund since this is just plain negligent.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Torque specifications.