Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sport vs Sport s trim level's

Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
DV3
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the tow package will upgrade you to the 3:73 gears, plus you'll get the hitch receiver.

I just bought a 12 sport this past summer. I wanted everything base but for the tow package to get the 3:73 gearing. With an auto trans, that gearing will be fine for up to 35" tires.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
DV3
JK Enthusiast

I should add that the 3:73 gearing with auto trans will be fine for larger tires with the 3.6 pentastar engine in the 2012's or newer
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

You have to get the "Max Tow" package on the Sport to get the 3.73; unfortunately I figured this out after the fact. I have a Sport S with the standard factory tow package and it only has 3.21.

Which version you should pick will probably depend on how much cash you have to drop right off the bat. I knew I wasn't going to have the cash to spend on wheels, tires, lift, and hardtop for at least a year so I went with up level Sport to make it livable for a year or so before I had the funds to build it up. If I had an extra $10k available after I bought the Jeep I would have bought a stripped down base model and sent it off for upgrades straight from the lot.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would consider as kaptkrappy posted, the base level Sport doesn't have an option for the power group. If you want the power accessories you will have to pop up to the Sport S. The base Sport also doesn't include A/C, a $995 additional charge that the Sport S has by default.

The Sport S just has a few more of the features standard, and allows you to pick more of the high end options. Suspension wise you are going to change them out, and I imagine regear so those options are not that important.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt

actually you can get the 16's with 3.73 and the 17's come standard with 3.26's too. the 3.73's are an option on all but the rubicon.
Fair enough, I guess I failed to mention that my observed differences were based on actual dealer inventory. I was looking for a great price on a '12 once the factory had switched over to building '13s... So I was not looking at other variation that I could have had if I had ordered one instead.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my 2 cents, get the 13 and avoid any possible Head problems.
I got a 13 Sport S. A/C, 17" wheels, 6spd, 3:21, and Sunrider tinted soft top.
No other power options. Basically a stripped down Jeep except for the A/C and wheels.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

I was at the dealer today and will most likely be picking up a 13 orange crush two door sport S 6 speed. It has the hard top and 17's and side steps are the only options it has added to it. No a/c and now power anything just cruise and thats it which is fine with me. deffinetly a different motor compared to the ol 4L cherokee I was rocking lol but on the down side it does seem to like to be reved up to do anything, on hills I found myself dropping back a gear or two just to hold a steady speed. Ethier way thanks for all the info, very helpful.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I would get the 3.73 rear if you can, unless you plan to regear.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

i have a base 2013 jku there is no suspension diferences. i searched till i found the one i wanted i have 3.73's limited slip sirus radio ac hard top and auto. you will turn about 2700 rpm at 70 with the tiny tires like i have. i will replace them soon. i didnt want power windows but power door locks would be nice not needed on a 2 door. you can buy the DNA power doorlock kit off ebay for $29. cheap enough. just installed this kit on my sons 2004 gmc its easy even though theres no instructions and it works great no extra buttons your doors fallow your drivers door if its locked the rest fallow. i will order this kit for myself soon. so tell your dealer excactly what you want and they will find it if not find another dealer.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FDHog
Just my 2 cents, get the 13 and avoid any possible Head problems.
I got a 13 Sport S. A/C, 17" wheels, 6spd, 3:21, and Sunrider tinted soft top.
No other power options. Basically a stripped down Jeep except for the A/C and wheels.

Since we are in 2013, the 2012's available are late builds (an assumption of course), so, they should have the updated heads.. He could probably get a BANGING deal on a '12... I went the the same thought process when I bought mine so here are my simple thoughts.. Make sure it has 3:73 of heavier so you can pick your tire size... Even with an auto, you can power 35's, even on a DD while performing off road.. I also chose the connectivity group since the bluetooth phone and streaming music from your phone is a must (lets face it, radio sucks and satellite only sucks a little less). Suspension, wheels and tires matter the least since it's the first thing us Jeepers change anyway.... But, it is more important to stick to your budget and our opinions shouldn't dictate if you can afford food on Thursday ... If you buy a Sport, it will have the same suspension as a Sport S (ride height wise), the tires and wheels determine the rest, which you will probably change as your budget allows... Good Luck Bud!

Quick Reply: Sport vs Sport s trim level's