Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spraying fenders/bumpers with bedliner

Old 03-12-2016, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying fenders/bumpers with bedliner

I just got a 2010 wrangler, the fenders and bumpers have faded to grey and armor all isn't holding up the color but for a couple of days. I've been reading up on how to paint them with bed liner but I was wondering if there's any tricks to taking off the fenders without breaking the clips? I'm on a budget and trying to do this as cheap as possible but still want to make this really nice. Any suggestions?

Last edited by CutTex27; 03-12-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I had the same issue. Rather than taking the fenders off I used paper to slide between the seem of the fenders and the body, then tape and plastic sheeting (the cheap stuff that comes in a role from Walmart) to protect against overspray. If you do it this way, make sure you cover the jeep at least 2-3 feet back from the fender as some of that bedliner in the can will travel a bit. I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Liner in the blue can and it held up great.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I used blue painters tape to cover the nearby metal. I didn't use Bedliner. Instead, I used krylon made for plastic. Called fusion I think.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bedlined my fenders flares and bumpers and it was worth it to remove them first. If you decide to yank them off, buy some of these clips. Dirt cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Bumper...r+clips+105899

I used rustoleum aerosol bedliner. The texture is pretty much an exact match to the factory fender flares.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually restored my brothers 2012 jeep fenders and bumper by using the following process.

1 spray with an all purpose cleaner
2 take a medium bristle brush an agitate the APC adding more until you get it clean
3 rinse with clean water.
4 work small areas
5 I use PoorBoys Trim Restore and apply to fender and let it sit in the sun.
6 apply at tease3 more coats. You will be using a foam applicator similar to a wax pad.
7 let it sit in the sun between each coat.
8 once you ge the look apply PoorBoys Natural Look to the areas that you coated with trim restore. Apply Natural Look monthly and they will stay looking like new.

Trim Restore is said to put the oils back into the plastic.

Ed
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do want to remove your fenders this little guy will make life easier. It's cheap, was at my local autozone, and I've used it a hell of a lot. Even on christmas tree type clips used for securing wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fender clip tool.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	640669  

Quick Reply: Spraying fenders/bumpers with bedliner