Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spring & shock swap out question

Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring & shock swap out question

I'm looking to swap out my stock x springs/shocks for some rubi's next week. I've read and looked at all of the pics on projectjk about installing a bb lift. Figure the steps are the same.
My questions are:
1- Why take off the tires? Is it just so they are out of the way, and it makes the axle lighter for moveing it around?
2- Can this be done 1 corner at a time, or does the whole axle need to be dropped to do both sides at once?
2a-If the whole axle gets dropped at once, it's OK for it to be supported just by the driveshaft/and jack on the diff?
2b-If the whole axle needs to be dropped at once, is this a 1 person job, or multiple people to make sure the springs seat as the axle is being jacked back up.

I know I'm overthinking this, which I tend to do the more time I have.
Thanks in adance!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ajmelin
I'm looking to swap out my stock x springs/shocks for some rubi's next week. I've read and looked at all of the pics on projectjk about installing a bb lift. Figure the steps are the same.
My questions are:
1- Why take off the tires? Is it just so they are out of the way, and it makes the axle lighter for moveing it around?
2- Can this be done 1 corner at a time, or does the whole axle need to be dropped to do both sides at once?
2a-If the whole axle gets dropped at once, it's OK for it to be supported just by the driveshaft/and jack on the diff?
2b-If the whole axle needs to be dropped at once, is this a 1 person job, or multiple people to make sure the springs seat as the axle is being jacked back up.

I know I'm overthinking this, which I tend to do the more time I have.
Thanks in adance!!
1- So that your axle has enough space to drop low enough to remove the springs.
2-Yes. still need to support the axle
2a- If you do it that way support the axle with a jack
2b- Just drop one side at a time, if you want to drop it entire axle it would be best to have a helper
Remove wheel, lower shock bolt, lower sway bar link and the break line thinkg on the body and you will have enough drop. Just make sure to keep an eye on you break lines so that you dont streach them to much.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies!
My plan is to put the rear end on jack stands(seems to be an easier swap than the front) and then lower and swap one side, then the other. Put the rear end down and torque it all. Then do the same for the front.

Quick Reply: Spring & shock swap out question