Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaking

Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking

Any bump whatsoever, even driving down a road that hasn't been recently paved causes my front passenger side of the Jeep to squeak. I took it into the dealership after crawling under and finding nothing, only to have them return it claiming they didn't hear anything.

I believe it's got something to do with the suspension, as it only squeaks when there is a bump.

I've also noticed its worse in the morning when the temperature is lower compared to later in the day after sitting in the sun.

The jeep is completely stock except for a couple superficial modifications.

The squeak is unbelievably loud, I'd have never expected a stock vehicle to squeak like that and have the dealership say there's nothing they can do. Passengers complain every time!

Anyone have any insight or ideas?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Find a buddy and have them push on the jeep while you are underneath to try to find the squeak. May be fixed with a little oil somewhere.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's your passenger seat. I bet you only hear it when theres no one with you. Take your right hand and push on the seat head rest while going over bumps. My does this sometimes, rainy day project, it needs lube somewhere.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default Freedom Top

My 2010 does the same thing, especially in cooler weather. I narrowed it down to the Freedom top. Taking it off and re-seating it seems to help for a while. Never does it on the passenger side though.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shifter
My 2010 does the same thing, especially in cooler weather. I narrowed it down to the Freedom top. Taking it off and re-seating it seems to help for a while. Never does it on the passenger side though.
Coat your freedom top seals with NAPA Sil-Glide, thank me later.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

A cheap "maybe" fix is to spray the Freedom Top seals with furniture polish.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the people with the freedom top squeak. Was the noise on the inside or outside of the vehicle? I have a similar problem, which I was thinking might be the freedom top too, but my noise is on the outside...

Quick Reply: Squeaking