Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stalled going over railroad tracks

Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled going over railroad tracks

I crawl very slowly over railroad tracks, but today when i went over them i started to let out the clutch while in 2nd gear. the jeep barely idled for about 5 seconds THEN stalled. it started right back up, but WHY did it do that? should i be worried? i did a search for railroad but didn't find anybody else have this issue. 08 Ruby 4dr with 6k miles ( still stock )
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MI MudBoss
I crawl very slowly over railroad tracks, but today when i went over them i started to let out the clutch while in 2nd gear. the jeep barely idled for about 5 seconds THEN stalled. it started right back up, but WHY did it do that? should i be worried? i did a search for railroad but didn't find anybody else have this issue. 08 Ruby 4dr with 6k miles ( still stock )
Very strange! Usually vehicles stall on the tracks only when a train is coming.
Why yours stalled with no train coming is absolutely unexplainable
Old 03-27-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Maybe you weren't going fast enough, giving it enough gas for second gear and bogged down the engine causing the stall?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

sounds like you we're going to slow for 2nd gear. Once the JK starts to stall, it cant be saved. It'll rough idle for a second and shuts off..

atleast mine has done this since it was new...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

huh! ok, i just can't drive a stick
just kidding, i go over these stinkin tracks everyday! thanx for the help calming me down b4 i ran to the dealership
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Not trying to say you can't drive a stick, but sometimes $%!+ happens. If it happened every morning then I could see the possibility of a problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is my 4th vehicle with a manny tranny (3 were Jeeps) and I've stalled this one out 3 or 4 times now, within only 1600 miles. Couple of problems that I've found...

1) I cant hear the damn engine, she's just too quiet (solved that by installing an Airaid CAI)

2) In my personal opinion..1st gear is utterly useless in normal street driving, I start from 2nd about 99% of the time.

Other than that, This is one of the most user friendly manny's I've ever driven

Just my 2 cents, Tony
Old 03-28-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cappi's JKR
This is my 4th vehicle with a manny tranny (3 were Jeeps) and I've stalled this one out 3 or 4 times now, within only 1600 miles. Couple of problems that I've found...

1) I cant hear the damn engine, she's just too quiet

I feel so much better knowing it's not just me.

To add to it, take top / doors off, turn up radio, and... I can't hear the engine at ALL. Not even a bit! Makes me nuts! When I first took the doors/top off I kept forgetting to get from 4th up thru 6th on highways till I looked at my tach. I gotta get used to it! First jeep and all!

Does anyone else baby the hell out of their shifting for MPG-sake? I try to keep at 1500-2500 alllll the time. When I'm conscious of doing so, I push 17.5-18.5 MPG average. When I'm not conscious of it and shifting at 3000ish all the time, I drop to 16-16.9 mpg.

When I hear my engine at 4000 RPM I'm afraid something is wrong, since I never let her rev that high.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

There was a recall on the 07 jeep for engine stalling...Did you have this done yet.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like it's just the fly by wire throttle. Some love it some hate it but Chrysler added this so that when you stump on the throttle the computer will ease in alittle. Almost all new Chryslers have that. Another neat thing is you should not be able to go over 4000 rpm with no load on the engine. More computer interference but it's there to protect the engine.

So, give it a little more gas. It's hard to feather an electronic throttle as it is always trying to correct what you are doing.

Quick Reply: Stalled going over railroad tracks