Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Starter dragging and sometimes not engaging

Old 06-08-2015, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter dragging and sometimes not engaging

The starter in my 09 JKU "drags" on the first start of the day. Only happens on the first start of the day and the temperature doesn't seem to matter. It sounds like the starter stays engaged a second or two too long. Last week, a new issue presented. On two different occasions, I turned the key and the starter cranked for a spit second and stopped. Sort of like what would happen if the battery was dead but it wasn't. I waited a second, turned the key again and it fired right up. My main concern here is that the starter may be going and the last thing I need is to be stranded somewhere. That being said, the more money I spend fixing crap, the longer it is before I can re-gear. I already have to replace the tranny coolant lines that are weeping so if I don't need to replace it, I'd rather not. Anyone else had a similar issue and if so, what was the fix? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Starter dragging and sometimes not engaging