Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering Issue After Big Bang on Rocks

Old 05-02-2021, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issue After Big Bang on Rocks

Hey!

I was crawling some minor rocks in a 'playground' area this past weekend checking out my new 2017 Rubicon Recon. I had the hubs locked, swaybar lifted, and heard a big bang. Might have hit something, but didn't really sound like it. Didn't notice any issues off road during the rally, but on paved roads it was different.

Driving home, I have a steering issue. The steering seems way over sensitive. Slightest bump and it wants to wander, a bumpy turn and it exhibits both over and under steering tendencies. I'm thinking I blew the steering stabilizer or broke it on a rock. Still attached, but it has what looks like oil all over it. Wondering if this makes sense to everyone?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Almost sounds like bent tie rod causing the toe in to be out. Doubt if SS would do anything other than stop working if you dinged it and it would not let out a loud bang but more like a soft thud.
Welcome to the JK Forum btw.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

You very well may have hit the SS, but that is not the issue here. Look up Planman's death wobble videos on youtube and it will give you a good sense of going over your steering components. Have someone sit in the jeep and cycle the steering as you sit in front and watch things. The biggest issue we have is ball joints. If you were in a playground with rocks, check that you didn't bend the tie rod.

Quick Reply: Steering Issue After Big Bang on Rocks