Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering problem on 4hi?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem on 4hi?

I have been using 4hi around town lately because of all the snow we have been getting and have noticed something about the steering while turning at very low speeds on 4Hi.
Everytime I turn into a parking spot or turn at very low speeds, 10mph or slower in 1st or 2nd gear the steering wheel and front wheels jerk back and forth. As if the wheels are trying to straighten out.
This only happens on cement and mostly when I am slowing down or not accelerating while turning.
I have a completely stock 2011 2dr sport with 3.21 gears and have been offroad often and have never had this issue on 4hi or 4low while on the trail.
At first I thought this was normal, maybe because of the resistence of the cement against the front tires if going to slow?
Does anyone else experience this??
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

That is a product of being in 4wd with too much traction. It's not good for the drivetrain, and should be avoided.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

When the steering wheel jerks like that take it out of 4 hi. Means you have traction and your gears aren't happy at the moment. Simple way to explain it. Somebody will be more technical if you need it
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is just the u joints in your front axle shaft binding and is completely normal in 4 wheel drive. Just don't make such sharp turns in 4 wheel and you are good to go.

Edit: I just realized you may be driving on dry pavement in 4 wheel , as others have stated you should never be dry pavement in 4 wheel

Last edited by Phrogmech46; 03-06-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies!
Its tricky right now because secondary roads are covered in deep snow and most cars are just spinning in place so I kind of need the 4wd but as soon as I getting into a plowed parking lot this happens. I'll make sure to take it of of 4hi from now on.
Cheers!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's the temp there? This happens here when my power steering isn't fully warmed up all the way. Which is usually below 0. This happens for me in 2wheel so it's not the 4wd.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Huggerls1
What's the temp there? This happens here when my power steering isn't fully warmed up all the way. Which is usually below 0. This happens for me in 2wheel so it's not the 4wd.
It was -10C today, but when I switched it to 2wd the problem stopped. We hit -30C here this winter and I didn't have the problem while in 2wd so I don't think its the cold for me.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its actually a symptom of u joints speeding up and slowing down when turned. Its reason FWD have CVs in the front.

Constant-velocity joint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just make sure to not apply too much throttle with the wheel turned hard in either direction, ujoints are at their weakest when at angles.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 AM
JK Freak

That's the difference between 4WD and AWD. You really need to stay in 2wheel on dry pavement, unless you like replacing worn parts early.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Every 4 wd I have ever had has done that.An on that note its not good for your driveline.The parts are bindin ,stressin em.

Quick Reply: Steering problem on 4hi?