Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Stabilizer replacement

Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer replacement

I'm looking to replace the brackets and steering stabilizer since mine has bit the dust. There are a few dual stabilizer kits for not much more than a singular replacement. Would it make that much of a difference to put the dual compared to the single? I am planning on lifting and going to 35" tires so if that makes a difference let me know. I get the death wobble pretty bad nowadays at about 55 so this needs to be changed before I go on the next trip to visit the beach. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Look for *******'s thread on diagnosing death wobble. Fix your jeep instead of applying a BandAid. A properly set up JK shouldn't need a SS at all, let alone 2. WoL and others maintain that a stock SS is good enough and certainly inexpensive.

That being said, mine's a Fox on a modified tubing clamp.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah you def. need to start reading up on the death wobble causes and fixes if you haven't already; it's all on this forum. Personally I'd start fixing those things first, then I'd go w/ the Jeep swag relocation bracket and the single fox stabilizer.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing it's not DW just a speed wobble and probably from tire balance.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Diagnose and fix your death wobble first, then check out the Woods Stabilizer Kit.
Link
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had the death wobble before with my two tj's and this felt the same. I hit about 55 and it feels like the tires are out of balance and then it just goes out of control. Its only on bumpy-ish not very smooth roads. I thought it was the tire balance at first and had them checked and everything was fine. The guy I go to and I looked at the steering stabilizer though and it was leaking fluid and didn't really have any sort of compression or rebound. I'll look at these kits.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

After reading the TSB from jeep the only thing i've found was the steering stabilizer.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stabilizer won't cause DW only dampen it. DW occurs after something starts a wobble then loose axle parts allow it to progress. The common parts are loose bolts on the track bar or control arms, ovaled bolt holes, bent tie rod,bad ball joints or a bad steering box. Your axle should be held solid in place and a DW is the shaking of the axle itself.

The stabilizer will prevent a wobble from becoming DW to a point but the wobble itself needs to be fixed or the bolt holes will become worse and DW more frequent no matter what stabilizer is run.

The Northridge4x4 bolt kit will solve some of the issues as many of the stock bolts are a hair too small and can shift. Proper torque could be an issue. If your holes are already oval instead of round you need to address that.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekicker08
I'm looking to replace the brackets and steering stabilizer since mine has bit the dust. There are a few dual stabilizer kits for not much more than a singular replacement. Would it make that much of a difference to put the dual compared to the single? I am planning on lifting and going to 35" tires so if that makes a difference let me know. I get the death wobble pretty bad nowadays at about 55 so this needs to be changed before I go on the next trip to visit the beach. Thanks everyone!
Without contradicting the good replies you got so far, I'd add this:

I had DW on my previous JKU, at at about 50~55 mph, on a wide turn, smooth road.
The Jeep was quite new, about 4,500 miles.
The next morning everything was checked and rechecked. There was nothing that could explain the DW, except for a fault in the stock SS itself.
It was replaced with a FOX SS, and the problem never repeated itself.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks GJeep, I wanted to upgrade a bit but I guess just doing a heavier duty Stabilizer would be enough for me. I'm not going to be rock crawling or anything anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer replacement