Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Still Normal (oil Burning)??

Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71RTCHALLENGER
My 07 has 19,000 now and it has always burned 1 quart of oil over 3,000 miles. Chrysler says it is well within specs, so thats good enough for me. I just buy one extra quart when I do the oil change. Just check your oil every month and keep it topped off, your baby will be fine.
If I had an engine that was burning a quart every 3k miles I'd rebuild it. Chrysler should do the same. That's just plain wrong.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

alright thanks
I'm not sure how much I'm burning because there are no Qrt. marks on the stick or anything like that. When I change this weekend ill see how much I get out of it.
Hopefully I don't have a problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

the dealer ship gave me three free oil changes, everytime they did, if was low, i made them add a quart, come to find out, the tech was only putting in 5qts, was fine before start up, start up and filter filled up and made it almost quart low.

so after free oil changes, no more dealer, just keep receipts and document mileage...even running full synthetic, very minimal useage with 5k
Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have close to 20k on my 07 4door. Every change (3000-4000) I am 2 qt low. Christler said it is within their specs to me also. I was worried before, but the tech told me it is because I use 5w20. I'm O.K. with it now. I have it stated on one of my service receipts that "owner says oil is 1-2 qts low after 3-4000 miles. No action taken" lol So, if it breaks, I'll argue with Christler.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found over many years that several factors can affect oil consumption. One is the oil itself. I personally will never put Pennzoil in an engine as they always used lots of oil and after swithing to any other brand that was made by any of the larger manufactures, oil consumption always became noticably less. Also, the PCV valve can be a culprit for oil consumption, if it is not working correctly and when one is using only a quart every 2-3 thousand miles, I would suggest changing that first as they are realatively inexpensive.
My LAST GM product used a quart of oil every 325 miles and GM would not do a thing about it as it had to be less than 300 miles before they would do anything. That was the same story from three different dealers. So I have not owned another GM product in the past 12 years and do not plan on purchasing any more in the future, regardless of TV Hype!

Quick Reply: Still Normal (oil Burning)??