Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock '08 JK...a few general questions

Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock '08 JK...a few general questions

First post.. and hoping to spend some time here!! Haven't had time to create a sig yet. Black 2008, JK Sahara

Coming out of a very highly modified Audi bi-turbo...the antithesis of my JK...low, loud, fast, brakes as big as the wheels and razor sharp suspension. That said, I love the JK!!

I am a professional photographer and love the Freedom tops.. I can remove either or both and put a tripod on the roof and shoot right from the front seat!!

I've done a few cosmetic mods...diamond plate rocker trim, door trim, OhSh_t handles, hard wired my Magellan Navi etc, and as the weather improves I want to start to do some really basic exterior stuff. I'm probably going to sell the Audi, so the JK needs to get some love!!
  • I don't care for the stock 18's. I'd like to get some basic black steelies and have reviewed a thread I found dedicated to black wheels..Question..what is the recommended size and offset if I want to keep my stock tires, but use a wider wheel? I'd like to fill the wheel wells a little more.
  • Along the lines of filling wheel wells.. I see there more than a few hubcentric spacers available... In the past I have had wheel bearing issues when running spacers..any concerns on the JK?
  • I've done some basic searching of the archives..What's involved in activating the U-Connect feature in my HU? I don't have the stock Nav..just the Sirius radio unit. It has the U-Connect button that does nothing when pressed.
  • I love running with the Freedom Roof panels off. Having the two door, there is precious little cargo space in which to store the tops once off. I have just been tossing them in the back seat, but this doesn't work if I have a passenger. How does everyone store the tops if you take them off when your not home or someplace you can leave them?
  • I chose the Sahara...wish I didn't. I've already painted the silver interior trim matte bumper black and just found the write-up of how to remove the silver bumper trim..that will go this weekend. I much prefer the matte black fenders over the body color matched (Mine are black). I'm sure others have replaced the body color stockers with black stockers...any idea what the price of the matte black fenders is? Is there a market for a perfect set of black painted fenders?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and hope to have more to return to the forum.. For now, I'm just feeling my way around.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A wider wheel requires a wider tire. Your stock wheels are 6.25 offset on a 7.5 wheel. You might want to step up to a 285 70 17 tire and a black wheel 17x9 with 4.25 offset.

To fill the wheel properly you need 35's

I do not have a back seat to put my top.

Dealer quoated me 85-90 for each front and 70-75 for each rear flair.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkkat
A wider wheel requires a wider tire. Your stock wheels are 6.25 offset on a 7.5 wheel. You might want to step up to a 285 70 17 tire and a black wheel 17x9 with 4.25 offset.

To fill the wheel properly you need 35's

I do not have a back seat to put my top.

Dealer quoated me 85-90 for each front and 70-75 for each rear flair.
Thanks for the response...

Other than a possible inaccurate speedo, what would be the impact of using the stock tires on a slightly wider wheel. We do it on the track car all the time...the stretch (far greater on a track setup than I would ever consider on the Jeep) results in a smaller rolling diameter (hence speedo issues) but also much snappier turn in response because of the tighter side wall. Of course, this is not the intended result on the Jeep..it would be just to have wider stance, but there shouldn't be any major negative to stretching the stock tire size on a slightly wider wheel... No?

I don't think my driving style will require any suspension upgrades and not knowing the cost for going to 35's, my first thought is that may be more than what I want to do.

Any thoughts on the spacers?

$400 for stocker fenders? I think a nicer aftermarket set can be had for that.

I know my questions scream nOob. And there are probably a lot of things I am misinformed on... I have been on both sides of the modding equation with my Audi, where I was the "Old Guard" with all the knowledge to share with the new guys. Thanks for the patience!!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joepile
hey man welcome to the forum... i have a black sahara and i dont like the silver bumper either and will be removing it soon and the sahara sticker and replacing with the JK stickers

with the fenders i love the painted blacks and lots of other people do too, so yes there is a market just post in the trade section and wait for a bite

happy wheeling
Joe thanks.

I'll find my way to the Stickers at some point. I've seen the JK sticker and have them on my Todo list.

Haven't made it to the Trade section yet either.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MMarz
Thanks for the response...

Other than a possible inaccurate speedo, what would be the impact of using the stock tires on a slightly wider wheel. We do it on the track car all the time...the stretch (far greater on a track setup than I would ever consider on the Jeep) results in a smaller rolling diameter (hence speedo issues) but also much snappier turn in response because of the tighter side wall. Of course, this is not the intended result on the Jeep..it would be just to have wider stance, but there shouldn't be any major negative to stretching the stock tire size on a slightly wider wheel... No?

I don't think my driving style will require any suspension upgrades and not knowing the cost for going to 35's, my first thought is that may be more than what I want to do.

Any thoughts on the spacers?

$400 for stocker fenders? I think a nicer aftermarket set can be had for that.

I know my questions scream nOob. And there are probably a lot of things I am misinformed on... I have been on both sides of the modding equation with my Audi, where I was the "Old Guard" with all the knowledge to share with the new guys. Thanks for the patience!!
Speedo and odometer would both be off and you could get an AEV Procal to fix that and going taller you will loose performance unless you regear.

Make it harder to get on the rim, easier to pop a bead if you go off-road.

Quick Reply: Stock '08 JK...a few general questions