Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Black Plastic Fenders

Old 08-26-2017, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Black Plastic Fenders

I have used every product I know of in an effort to keep the stock black factory fenders looking decent, while some work a bit better than others nothing seems to last very long. Has anyone refinished them with a product that will not peel off and is easier to maintain?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have. Pretty simple. Just mask out the areas you don't want spray on. Buy some cans of Krylon fusion spray paint for plastics. Wipe your fenders down with alcohol. Then paint them with the spray paint. I've done that on a TJ and a Mini Cooper. Looks great and lasts at least a year.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Chemical Guys have some good YouTube videos for this topic, of course they are also peddling their wares.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

armorall makes a back to black type product that works well and lasts quite a while as well as actual back to black which does a good job too.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to just bed-line them and call it a day?
Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I've tried most of the commonly recommended products. They all worked fine when first applied but no one ever seems to mention the down side aspects. Such as they don't last very long, they leave a sticky residue, looks shiney and oily, difficult to apply without protecting the paint and is the case with supposed dyes like forever black, the sh*t starts flaking off making your plastic trim look even worse than before you started.

Finally someone made a recommendation that I can highly recommend as well. It's inexpensive, easy to apply, no sticky residue, no shiney gloss look, and lasts for years.

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc and pick up a can of Penetrol. It's about $10-$12 for a can. It works great. It made my black plastic trim look new.

Someone who does fiberglass boat restoration tipped me onto to this stuff and it works great without any of the usual negative aspects and will last for at least 2 years.

I just put some of it on a micro fiber rag and whipped it onto my plastic trim parts, so it was really easy to apply as well.

Here's a blog of someone else talking about it.
http://www.jeepreviews.com/blog/jeep...fender-flares/

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-29-2017 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christie (01-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Stock Black Plastic Fenders