Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

stock fender install?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knocked one off and it took forever to get it back on!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The below reference only applies if your inner fender liner is already out.

The rear fenders are super easy to re-seat.

The fender is attached by I believe 10 clips in the rear.

Pull straight up on the fender. Not out, but straight up on the end closest to the doors. The clips will unseat themselves from the fender.

Now your looking at a naked wheel well with the clips still in their holes. Using a flathead screwdriver, press one side of the inverted V tip. It will come slightly out of the fender. While holding this clip up on the side that you just released. Put the screwdriver on the other side and press in the other half of the V. They just pop right out.

Once yoiu have all the clips out, mount them back on the fender..pointy side out. Start at one of the bottom holes and press the clips back in.

It really looks harder than it is, and once you see how the clips come off, you'll go "well duh", and everything will just clip and fall into place.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to paint my stock plastic fender flares yesterday. After I took the first one off I realized quickly that it was a bad idea. I broke one clip getting it off. So I taped and painted the other three. Anyhow...there is a method to putting the clips back on the flare. You have to get them off the body first. It's fairly easy to do by pinching the v on the clip together with a pair of needle nose and then just sliding them out. I learned it's probably best to do this when the temp is warm or in a warm garage. Cold plastic breaks easier.

This is the back side of the clip, the part that goes into the body.

Last edited by JustAnotherGirlWithAJeep; 11-19-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What did you do to paint the flares? Anything crazy for prep and which paint?? Mine need help but I'm ok with saving for real flares that won't fade.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAnotherGirlWithAJeep
The first one I took of and quickly that it was a bad idea. I broke one clip getting it off. So I taped and painted the other three. Anyhow...there is a method to putting the clips back on the flare. You have to get them off the body first. It's fairly easy to do by pinching the v on the clip together with a pair of needle nose and then just sliding them out. I learned it's probably best to do this when the temp is warm or in a warm garage. Cold plastic breaks easier.
Wow, another 10 year old resurrection...

I have pulled/replaced the stock flares five or six times since 2008. I start out trying to be careful and preserve the clips, but by the 3rd and 4th flare I'm just ripping them off.

Clipsandfasteners.com (prices as of the last time I bought)
A20887 - box of 15 - $9.02
A11146 - box of 25 - $3.18
Old 11-19-2018, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Wow, another 10 year old resurrection...

I have pulled/replaced the stock flares five or six times since 2008. I start out trying to be careful and preserve the clips, but by the 3rd and 4th flare I'm just ripping them off.

Clipsandfasteners.com (prices as of the last time I bought)
A20887 - box of 15 - $9.02
A11146 - box of 25 - $3.18
There is a logical reason for the resurection of old threads. They come up on Google first when searching for how to do xyz.... So, if everyone uses the same thread over the years it becomes an indespensable resource. It saves time having to hunt through mass quantities of threads on an old school forum based site.
I have never understood why it it's so offensive?
Thanks for the links. I didn't have any new ones handy and needed to put the flare back on today. I'm def. going to get some though.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Didn't say a thing about it being offensive, just that there have been several this week which is unusual. Sorry if I hurt your feelings...

And yeah, it's nice having spare clips on hand. As you mentioned, they can get brittle with age, and are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
What did you do to paint the flares? Anything crazy for prep and which paint?? Mine need help but I'm ok with saving for real flares that won't fade.
I used a black satin by Rust-Oleum that says it is for plastics. My Wally did not have Krylon Fusion which is what I have seen recommended. I sanded lightly with 250 grit(in hindsight I would go finer) and used Purple Power degreeser with a Magic eraser to clean. Magic Erasers are a mild abrasive, don't let them get near your paint.
Honestly, it looks ok. The front bumper looks 100x better. Flares are kinda...meh. From a distance they look great. Up close they look like spray paint a little. Spotty. I am going.to go get the other can that I saw with a spray trigger and fine mist and do a final couple of coats see if it makes an improvement.
I'm just getting by for a bit and I was tired of putting on back to black products. I'm in need of a new soft top so thats gonna take priority in the budget. I'm tired of rain spilling into my lap after a rain and a sharp turn...lol.

Last edited by JustAnotherGirlWithAJeep; 11-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noot
The clips are more than $6 a PIECE here...
Another reason I haven't fixed mine.
You can buy them on Amazon for dirt cheap. I've used them on my Jeep and they seem to hold up okay. Below is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FUAUI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-12-2020, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

I am replacing a damaged front right fender on a 2007 JK. Every video on youtube shows you how to remove a fender to install an after market upgrade. Finally I found a video on how to install the fender and the other 2 pieces. It was a video on Extreme Terrain showing the hardware kit for sale.

I like the above site mention of clipsandfasteners.com, what about the plastic pop rivets?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugge...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mark

Quick Reply: stock fender install?