Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Fog light wiring??

Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stock Fog light wiring??

So I want to add a 14" 36W LED light bar to my winch guard.

My question is do you think that the existing wiring would be able to handle the additional load being its LED? I was thinking I could just 'Y' splice the wires to provide the needed power.

If I cant to that I can always just run some separate wires directly to the battery and have a under the hood switch. I dont want to cut into or add holes to the firewall because it can let carbon monoxide into the cabin and other bad stuff.

The under the hood off road light switch is an option. The problem with splicing into the fog light wires is that I will be running the bar when I turn my fogs on.

What do you guys think? How did you guys do your light bar?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have light bar. but you might have to add a bigger relay when splicing in to stock fogs.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you might run into the problems with flickering because of the canbus system if you try to run off the fog light wiring. Run a relay and a switch to the cab and pull the power from the battery. Easiest route in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what year you have but i had led foglights for a little while and had no flickering issues on a 2012. As for the wattage you should be fine the psx24w bulbs stock are 24w a pice so 1 led bar pulling only 36w shouldent be a problem.

Quick Reply: Stock Fog light wiring??