Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

stock Rubicon JKU and trails in Ouray CO

Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stock Rubicon JKU and trails in Ouray CO

Has any one run trails in Ouray, CO, ie., Imogene Pass, California & Hurricane Passes, Alpine loop in a bone stock JKUR ???? or is a lift required to do these trails??? purchasing a new 2015 JKUR and as I will pull this behind my MH and will never run anything more difficult than these trails I would rather not go to a lift if not necessary....maybe a good skid plate package would suffice???
Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do a Ouray trip every year and for the past two years one of our friends has had a stock Sahara and they have done most of the trails with us including Imogene, Alpine, Yankee Boy, and Cinnamon so you will be fine. Air down and disconnect and you will be fine. Of course skids will give you extra piece of mind.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

All of the rental jeeps up there are stock JKU Sports and some Rubicons and tourists drive those things everywhere. You'll be just fine on all those except maybe Poughkeepsie Gulch, which I know you didn't previously mention. To give you additional confidence, we did Alpine loop in a Ford F-450 dually with a 9ft long flat bed. As long as you have a little knowledge of choosing lines, you'll be alright.
Here's my jeep at the summit of Cinnamon

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3331985324.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	603027

Last edited by TreyJK; 03-25-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Ouray

In 2008, I did the Ouray Jeep Jamboree in a stock 2008 JKU Sahara, running most of the trails you mention. Made it to 13,400', got caught in a rain/ice/snow storm at 12,000' - did not have a problem. The "pucker factor" was pretty high, but we did okay. What you will have problems with is the altitude. What I recommend is that you arrive in Ouray 3-4 days ahead of you run and get used to dealing with a lot less oxygen. Ouray is at 7,000+ feet. Walk around town as much as you can every day and drink a lot of water. It will make a huge difference in your overall experience level. Check out altitude sickness on the internet. Have a great time. DF

Last edited by Desert Fox; 03-25-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did it last August in a stock Sahara JKU everything but pukipsie (sp?) including Black Bear Ouray to Telluride. You'll be fine in a JKR with lockers.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: stock Rubicon JKU and trails in Ouray CO