Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock seat question

Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock seat question

Is there any head room difference between the non-height adjustable seat and the adjustable one set at the lowest setting? I have a non adjustable seat and i need some more headroom and I was looking into switching to the adjustable seat.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default I appreciate it

With my chair scooted all the way back:

the front of my seat from the top of the foam to the soft top is 36 inches

from the front edge of the crossbar to the very top of the foam on the rear edge of the seat is 39 inches

the front of my seat from the top of the foam to the ground is 11 inches

Now if you could give me your measurements with your seat scooted all the way back and the seat lowered as much as possible that'd be awesome. Thanks a bunch
Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could as a last resort have a welding shop cut out about an inch out of the front/rear legs and re weld....
Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I've definitely thought about that. I did just buy the under-seat lock box from Bestop and I really need the secure storage so i am trying my best to search for other alternatives bc the shorter brackets wouldn't be compatible. Unfortunately i haven't gotten a whole lot of response for the forum so i feel like I'm flying blind here. I might try a junkyard to see if they have a seat that would work.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I didn't forget, I'm doin this tomorrow, its been a long week
No biggy. I really appreciate your help
Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
my measurements look just like yours. another thing to consider would be something like the big boy brackets by misch ht tp://www.misch4x4.com/bigboy_brackets.html, they put the seat back a little further which may give you some more headroom. otherwise, chopping the seat brackets looks like the option for you. the difference in the seat all the way down and adjusted as far up as it would go is about 1.5" of headroom less but the seat also leaned forward a little more as i jacked it up.

be careful with moving your seats though bc they aim the airbags with the position of the seats.
Thanks a bunch for your help. Thats surprising that the seats only have 1.5 inches of travel. I was thinking about the brackets but legroom isn't the issue. I couldn't scoot back more even if I wanted to because that would put me even more underneath the crossbar. I was thinking about buying an after market seat that had less of a pad height to it but they list that measurement on any of the seats.

The part that blows my mind is that several people my height and taller have no problem fitting which I can only think is because they have the adjustable seat. I see no other way that they can fit and I can't. And they all say they scoot all the way back to get more headroom whereas I have to scoot in front of the crossbar to get more room.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah what i really need to do is sit in the seat of a jk that has the adjustable seat and see if it makes a difference. I'm going to start looking at some local junkyards to sees what they've got.

Quick Reply: Stock seat question