Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock shift knob won't stay tight

Old 04-19-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock shift knob won't stay tight

Does anyone know how to tighten a stock manual shift knob for a 2010 JK. I found lots of posts and videos about how to remove it but none that really explained if it goes back on a certain way. I removed it awhile back to run DC and USB ports into my center console. It was a simple twist the knob and pull off. It came off without an issue. Now if the knob twists much I end up with a knob that feels loose and will feel like you could end up holding it(unattached to the shifter).
Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruiserbaum
Does anyone know how to tighten a stock manual shift knob for a 2010 JK. I found lots of posts and videos about how to remove it but none that really explained if it goes back on a certain way. I removed it awhile back to run DC and USB ports into my center console. It was a simple twist the knob and pull off. It came off without an issue. Now if the knob twists much I end up with a knob that feels loose and will feel like you could end up holding it(unattached to the shifter).
Maybe try some loctite? I have an auto so I don't know but that would be the only thing I could think off.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruiserbaum
I don't really understand the statement, "... feel like you could end up holding it (unattached to the shifter)." But, I do understand "simple twist the knob", and IIRC, the knob does not twist. It's been awhile since I've removed one, but it always pulled straight off, and there was only one way to put it back on. I had to turn it around until it lined up, using the shift pattern image as a guide, then push it on. If yours twists, then perhaps you've damaged something internally on the knob.

Quick Reply: Stock shift knob won't stay tight