Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Spare Wheel Carrier

Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Spare Wheel Carrier

Was wondering how much can the stock spare wheel carrier hold? I want to get some 35" tires on 17" wheels and i am trying to figure out if i need to put an aftermarket tire carrier into my budget or will the stock one hold up.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

from what I gather it is fine for on road use. The extra jarring you get off road might damage the tail gate with too heavy a tire. Get an off road bumper and swing away carrier and you'll be much happier. For what it's worth, I put 2 moutain bikes on tire mounted bike rack - about 55# all togather and have not had any issues. This is quite a bit more than upgrading to a 35" tire would be. Just remember, this is for limited periods only and not much on dirt roads or ruts.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brucy2k3
Was wondering how much can the stock spare wheel carrier hold? I want to get some 35" tires on 17" wheels and i am trying to figure out if i need to put an aftermarket tire carrier into my budget or will the stock one hold up.

I bought my jeep in May and have had my 35 on the stock tire carrier without any problems. I have been offroading about 20 times since it has been on there and it seems to be ok HOWEVER just to be safe I did buy a reinforcement bracket from Quadratec.com which I have listed the link below. For $30 it is a easy temporary fix until I get a new rear bumper. From what I have read online it is not so much the tire carrier as it is the back door hinge to worry about. Which is why eventually I am going to buy a new bumper with tire carrier

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm

Quick Reply: Stock Spare Wheel Carrier