Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock steel wheel weight

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock steel wheel weight

I have searched high & low for what the standard 16 inch steel wheel weighs with not much luck. So I just took off my spare and put it on a scale, the total was 52 pounds. The tire comes in at 27 so the rim is 25 lbs. The tire weight is going from what the Tire Rack has listed for the OEM size.
Just playing the odds I do not get a flat so it will stay off along with the jack & tire iron.
This may seem a waste but it is worth a shot & doesn't cost anything.
It may not happnen but if you loose a 100lbs you should see a 1 - 2% fuel savings. This is going from some eco modder site with an EPA link.

The other thing is I plan on slighly bigger tires & some Pro Comp wheels & am trying to keep the overall weight less or equal to OEM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from someone with extensive automotive engineering experience all those figures sound about right. But the thing you need to take into account is say by running without a spare, tire changing equipment, (and even say you take out the back seat for good measure) and save 200 pounds of vehicle weight. Also assume the highest figure (of 2% fuel savings per 100 pounds of weight) is correct, think of what that translates into for your JK. By running 200 pounds lighter (saving a total of 4% on fuel economy) and say you are starting with a fuel economy of 20 mpg (high but possible in some JKs).

This would still translate into less than 1 mpg difference in fuel economy.

So is not having a spare tire or a back seat worth less than 1 mpg? It is up to you to decide.

I think most of the problem JKers run into is putting on 35s (add ~50 pounds per tire so ~250 pounds total), steel front and rear bumpers (add on average 100 pounds per bumper translating into ~200 pounds total added weight), and then get disappointed when they start getting 13 - 15 mpg rather than 17 - 18 mpg. But if you do the math it makes sense: adding 400 - 500 pounds of weight to a JK getting (say 20 mpg starting) and according to that 1 - 2% loss per 100 pounds, you will lose 2 - 3 mpg from weight effects alone. Then factor in the increased rolling and aerodynamic drag of larger tires and you get the 3 - 5 mpg losses that some people report.

This is the unfortunate reality that causes me to keep my DD JK in stock form...
Old 01-08-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

I have seen the same thing & also people do not add deeper gears to compensate for the taller tires.
The tire I am going with is a wrangler 265\70\16 which is 30.3" & I have the 3.73 gears. So this will be like having a 3.55 final drive ratio & should be fine, I hope.
My concern about the weight is more of a guidline to avoid what your talking about. The combo I want will weigh 56 pounds which is close & to get a taller & wider tire a little extra weight is unavoidible.
Your numbers on the MPG is close to what I had & figure about a $200 savings a year is a very real possiblity.
Also I live close to work & do not take the Jeep out much for play as it my DD as well, so a flat isn't a major concern. Once it happens I might change my mind but for now thats the plan.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

My stock Sport pizza cutter 226/75R16 spare weighed about 48 lb with 0 miles. My stock Rubicon BFG MT 255/75R17 weighed about 70 lb with 5k miles.

Quick Reply: Stock steel wheel weight