Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Strange auto transmission problem

Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange auto transmission problem

Hi Guys

I am in need for some advise / info on our strange auto transmission problem. Here is the problem.

A few weeks ago we did some wheeling with the club. After climbing out of a canyon is 4low we hit the main dirt road. I shifted into 4 hi since it was still a rough roar with some obstacles. The Jeep immediately felt like it got no power or that I was towing 6000 pounds with 4 flat tires. You hit the gas pedal and it revs but don't go anywhere fast. Thought the road was still to steep and sandy and put it back in 4 low. Jeep go with no problem. A mile or so up the road I shifted back into 4 hi and this time no problem. Hit the pave road later and in 2 hi still no problem.

Yesterday I took a friend out to experience 4 wheeling and we hit an easy trail outside town. Got to a sandy mount and show him what 4 low feels like. Went up no problem. Made a u turn on top of the sand mount and with just a little bit of flex in reverse, the Jeep just revs and go nowhere. Not even wheel spin. Put it in drive and no problem. Back-up again and no problem. Went down in 4 low and at the bottom shift back into 4 hi and again the Jeep feels like the clutch slips. Rev but don't go anywhere fast. Shift back into 4 low and no problem again.

We went up the canyon in 4 low for a few miles and when we tuned around to go back I shifted back into 4 hi. This time no problem till we got to the main road, back into 2 hi and all is well.

Now my question is did any of you experience this before and what was the problem. I will take the Jeep to the dealer next week but don't know how they can duplicate the issue. I just don't want to hear that it is my grab handles that cause the problem.

Thanks for the help and happy Jeeping.

PS. Stock 2012 2 door Rubicon with 4700 miles in the clock. Only mods is front bumper with winch and EVO skid plates.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try turning ESC off if you haven't already done it. In 4-lo the Jeep turns ESC off for you, but 2 or 4 hi it is on unless you turn it off.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fluid level of the transmission. That sounds like you could be low.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Thanks, I will check the oil level.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Oil lever is all good. Back to square one. O well..........
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4chick
Try the same move with ESC off. What you describe is much the way my auto acts in deep sand in hi-range with ESC on. It makes the jeep bog down and go nowhere fast because it is trying to keep your wheels from spinning in the sand. I've read about the same thing many times here on the forum.

If the ESC dashboard switch doesn't do the trick, try permanently disabling ESC with the "steering wheel dance" described in the ESC section of your owner's manual.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Thanks, will give that a try next time it happened. The thing that bother me is that it happened in 4 low in reverse. ESC is suppose to be ogg in 4 low. But thanks, will give it a shot.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks, will give that a try next time it happened. The thing that bother me is that it happened in 4 low in reverse. ESC is suppose to be ogg in 4 low. But thanks, will give it a shot.
Yeh, I almost dropped the ESC idea because of the 4-lo in reverse thing, but everything else seems to fit the ESC behavior. Or, maybe there's a tranny problem. But it really seems like the system is applying the brakes. If the engine sounds like its working into a load, then the brakes may be doing it. If the engine revs freely, like its in neutral, then it is more like to be in the tranny.

Diagnosis by forum messages can be sketchy at best
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Where is the dipstick on the 2012 auto transmission? I don't see it llisted in the owner's manual.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-23-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

I don't know, the dealer looked at it.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Where is the dipstick on the 2012 auto transmission? I don't see it llisted in the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: Strange auto transmission problem