Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To stud or not to stud? That is the question.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To stud or not to stud? That is the question.

Need some opinions on non jeep related issue: So my better half and I are at the VW dealer the other day as she traded in her Nissan Versa ( ) for a 2012 Passat 2.5 with the 6spd auto ( ). So its time to sit down and discuss all those extras they try to sell you and I say "I want the winters studded!). 3 women and myself in the room and they are trying to convince me that studded tires are no good because they reduce your stopping distance on dry ground.
I'm sure their theory may hold some water but the advantages must weigh out the disadvantage right?
We live in Montreal where it snows quite a bit and january/february hit lows of -20C (-5F) which, when coupled with hard packed snow and a lot of bad drivers create a lot of ice and chaos.
I have 2 kids riding in our cars daily. I say STUD!
Opinions?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can even get studded tires anymore I'd check on the laws where you plan on driving-out of province etc.
They're banned in most places I know of because of the road damage they caused in the past.
Maybe Quebec is an exception
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have studded snow tires on both of my daughers cars (subaru impreza outback and mazda 626) and had them on our Honda civic work car and it makes driving n the ice which we have here all the time so much safer. Sure you don't want to get in a high speed pursuit with them but for driving in icy city traffic and icy backroads they are great. State law in Montana allows them to be run from October 1 to the last day in May.

Last edited by jadmt; 01-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Studs on all 4 can make the difference between a close call and accident on icy roads, especially when dealing with clueless drivers. Local laws have " remove by" dates, heed them ! Wouldn't drive a 2wd in winter without them.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the info.. quebec laws allow them.. winters are mandatory (dec 15 to mar something).. studs are optional
my question is more related to driving with studded tires on dry pavement and any drawbacks they may have... with the technology today, i would assume they retract enough to allow the rubber to contact the road and avoid skidding on them on dry surfaces. the tires in question are Gislaved winters which are comparable to Nokian if not equal to. The Finns know their winters

Quick Reply: To stud or not to stud? That is the question.