Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sunk Jeep...Snorkel held... not locked... wont crank... WITH PICS

Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunk Jeep...Snorkel held... not locked... wont crank... WITH PICS

Click image for larger version

Name:	sunk.jpg
Views:	2065
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	434681

So... Took a line I have done a few times before. Stuck to the shallow side, hit it slow and all of a sudden the front right side just DROPS. The ground gave way and I was keeling over into a +50" trench. Engine stayed running, tried to back out and the left wheels left the ground. She would have flopped, but slid onto the pumpkins.

I tried to kill it- it wouldnt die. (insert SHUT OFF mod here) She ended up dying as the back hoe got my hooked up. As he pulled me back, killing the tractor several times, I came VERY CLOSE to an all out flop. When we got it to flat ground I got ALOT of water out of my pipes. Okay, so I know the drill:
1) pulled plugs, 4 were wet.
2)sprayed WD and crancked it- it turned over just fine, no water ejected from the plug holes
3)reinstalled plugss...
IT TURNS, EASILY, BUT WILL NOT START.
4)checked intake, there was some water in the tubes, but no moisture in the TB
5)sprayed wire dryer on the MAF or whatever on the intake tube... tried it again and the throttle blade IS moving on its own
6)opened up TIPM, it was soaked. Removed it, tried to dry it, checked the fuses.... tried engine and it almost caught.
7)tried a test light on the plug wires- no spark...

Ideas?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Also..

Upon hooking up the battery, the horn stayed blaring
Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely sounds electrical. How about drying out the fusebox etc with a hairdryer or just leaving it for a few days?

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
Attachment 434681

6)opened up TIPM, it was soaked. Removed it, tried to dry it, checked the fuses.... tried engine and it almost caught.
7)tried a test light on the plug wires- no spark...

Ideas?
At this point, I would focus on the ignition coil pack, the connection to the coil pack, and finally the PCM if no spark is produced.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe PCM, My Wifey's Patriot had a bad PCM. It would still run, even when you removed the key, and would sometimes start up on it's own, or not start at all. The thing was possessed!

Hope you get the jeep back to normal soon.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi

Subscribing to find out what the outcome is. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
Upon hooking up the battery, the horn stayed blaring
Probably a short, but should dry out. I would try and get every component under the hood as dry as possible before trying to restart.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man. Good luck, I hope drying it out helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Default ItS ALIVE!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130429_130304.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	453387

The TIPM fried when it went in, not allowing me to kill the engine. The snork would have saved me if I could have stayed on the throttle- but the rig felt like it was going to flop and my pASSenger paniced...we would have flopped if her appempt to crawl out her window would have been successful. Instead I got out and let her climb over me, and I think the ange, depth of the passenger manifiold, and sudden loss of exhaust pressure sucked waster through the manifold into the passenger side- as thats where I lost all cylinder pressure.

I ended up filing a claim, and since the rig was paid for they cut me a check directly. They were going to have a LKQ or equivalent longblock installed- but then A) the shops 100 miles away and B) I still have all the accessories that tanked. So a local JKO that wanted help with a Hemi swap sold me his motor and accessories. The rig sat for a few weeks while me and a JKO took our time with the swap- I was kinda Jeeped out.

Removing two engines and reinstalling one took 16 hours total over 3 diffrent periods with two men and air tools. The mud slowed us down considerably. Programming a used TIPM takes 12 seconds. Rebuilding a Delphi steering pump takes an hour, another half hour if you tap it for hydro-assist. Fixing the passenger seatbelt is about 20 worth of work. Clay The axle and TC case breather stayed above water too.

The biggest problem was POUNDS of mud that had caked up and dried since this adventure began. Dirt in our teeth, peices of clay all over the garage and highway...and a mouse did inhabitate my dash when it was out on the trail that week or two, long enough to eat his way through my radio, blower and auxillary lighting controls.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Default TIPM does that..

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Probably a short, but should dry out. I would try and get every component under the hood as dry as possible before trying to restart.
...replaced the sissy OEM horn with a 13bd Trail WOrthy Fab unit!

Quick Reply: Sunk Jeep...Snorkel held... not locked... wont crank... WITH PICS