Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"sunrider" help?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Sunrider came with my Jeep from the factory, which I bought in August 2007 and I think the build date was in June or early July. They were added to the dual top group part way through the model year.

However some dealers delete the sunrider top for some reason. I know a while ago I was viewing 08 window stickers online and "sunrider - delete" was listed on one of them..
Old 07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

I'm going to make a couple people happy here. I have scored a brand new in the boxes Sunrider top. I may be able to pick it up this weekend or maybe it will take until next week to get it. When I go get it, I will record all the part numbers on the packaging and take some photos as I open and install it. I plan to compare the parts with my stock parts while I am doing the swap. I shall post the information that I get in this thread as soon as I am able. It may take a week or more, but I will do it. I have been looking for a top for a year now and have tried to find what is different about a Sunrider from a standard top. As soon as I know the differences, I'll let all of you here know too. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO, finally got one!!! You all won't get mad if I tell you I scored it for $375 will you?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

You SUCK!!

Where did you get it?? That information would be great! Keep your eyes open for me....
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gypsy - I'd suggest you PM echofoxtrot (aka EF) and ask his VIN. My understanding is that dealers can get computer part lists that are filtered by VIN specific detail.

Regards, Tim
Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gypsy
You SUCK!!

Where did you get it?? That information would be great! Keep your eyes open for me....
Ha Ha, I knew someone would be miffed about the price. I found it on craigslist, I pick it up Saturday night. I do have to drive 2 hours each way to get it, still beats the cost of shipping the oversize package. Will post details and photos when I do the install.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Tim! I actually have the parts list now. Problem is, they want $4k for them. So I'm trying to figure out if I can mod stock.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gypsy
Thanks Tim! I actually have the parts list now. Problem is, they want $4k for them. So I'm trying to figure out if I can mod stock.
Check out this thread.....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-accessories-misc-parts-115/2-door-soft-top-2008-rubi-tinted-windows-41032/

The price is right....good luck
Old 07-19-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Ladies and Gentlemen and Puppy Dogs Too, I have in my possession the wondrous Sunrider top for my 2 door. Here are some photos and my observations so far. I have not yet done the install, maybe tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Here are what I see as the differences between the standard and the Sunrider.

The door surrounds are different and the front bows on the sides are different.

Here's the scoop so far.

The top rolled up as delivered.

I scored tinted windows too!! They appear to be the same as standard top. Here are the side window and the window kit part number.

The surrounds have a latch built into them. The pin goes into a hole in the side bows to hold the top down when the front part is open.

Surround with latch closed.

Surround with latch open.

Surround general arrangement of latch.

Surround part number.

The side front bows have a hinge and a latch hole built into them.

Bow with the slider closed. The front is to the right in this photo.

Bow with the slider open. Front is to the right again here.

The side bows are fastened to the frame mount with screws and should be changeable without too much trouble.

Unfortunately the top I bought came as an assembled unit so I still don't have a part number for the individual bow. If I find a number stamped in it somewhere when I do the install I will post it then. I will also see if the canvas top is the same as a standard, my guess is it is the same fabric as my standard top has the two part plastic lips where it hooks into the surround. Hopefully this info will help you guys who are trying to convert. I still can't believe I found this for $375. This was a craigslist find.

Last edited by GreytSilly; 07-20-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
I still can't believe I found this for $375. This was a craigslist find.
I really like the sunrider option. Much quicker than pulling the whole top down. I drop the back window and pull off the tops of the half doors and don't notice much difference in the open air feel between the sunrider position and no top from the driver's seat.

Good luck and enjoy. Regards, Tim
Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TimC
I really like the sunrider option. Much quicker than pulling the whole top down. I drop the back window and pull off the tops of the half doors and don't notice much difference in the open air feel between the sunrider position and no top from the driver's seat.

Good luck and enjoy. Regards, Tim
I dont know....on my 2 door I can have the top down in like 2 min. I do know the 4 doors are a bit more of a PIA.....
If I had the sunrider i would like it, but unless I could get the parts cheap, I dont think I would go out of my way for it.

Quick Reply: "sunrider" help?