Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

sunrider top

Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sunrider top

OK, OK I'll try to make this the last post on the subject. My window build sheet says I have the sunrider top. I have read that the subrider top is standard equipment on the 2 door 2008 JK (I have a 2008) Along the top of the door, inside the vehicle, I have a zipper cover over the sport bar and thought I'd see the plastic slider sleeve that seems to be the sunrider tell tale. I tried to unzip the cover and there is a styrafoam like material under the zipper surrounding the bar. For the life of me I can't see anything that makes me think I got the sunrider top. If there is ANYONE out there that has a 2008 Wrangler JK X with the sunrider top, PLEASE take a photo. I'd like to be absolutely sure BEFORE making a fool of myself at the dealership. I'd only like to be sure I got what I paid for. THANKS
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the S-package on your JK? If not, you do not have a sunrider top.
It came standard as part of the S-package. The zipper and foam you are taking about covers the roll bar. You will have to look between the roll bar and the top. There will be a plastic slider. It is about six inches long. This is the image of a TJ but it is similar to your JK.

Last edited by mgaspard; 02-14-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

The bar is not under the pad. It's on the soft top frame running along over the door.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sunrider is standard on all the '09s now. And its always been standard on the 4 doors.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Look at the rod that connects the front of the top with the first hinge. If it is solid and doesn't have the plastic sliding cover, then you don't have the Sunrider top.

I didn't even realize how cool the sunrider top was until I was surfing the Forum last night. I opened mine last night (I've only had my JK for a week) and think it is the coolest thing for warm summer days. If your build sheet says you have a sunrider top and it doesn't have the plastic sliding sleeve, then a visit to your dealer is in order.

Your salesman should be the per son you talk to first. You know him (or her) and they were supposed to show you how it worked when you took delivery.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it shows you in this video, you should be able to tel if you have it, I am guessing you dont.

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/soft_t...oft_top_guide/
Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

My JK has gone to work with the wife today. I'll go out later when it gets home and take a photo of the slider for you as you see it from the driver's seat. Your door surrounds should also have a latch on them if you have the Sunrider, it's just forward of the rear edge of the door built into the surround. I'll post photos later today.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Forgot my Sunrider top isn't on for the winter but the door surrounds for it are still in place. Here is a photo of the Sunrider door surround looking from outside the driver's door. The latch indicated by the arrow is for a Sunrider top. If you don't have this latch but have two empty screw holes in the surround where this latch is located, you have a standard top not a Sunrider. Hope this helps you finally figure out which top you have. Here's hoping it's a Sunrider for you.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sunrider

I finally got the roll bar cover back on the bar. I found the soft top bar in question, but can't find the plastic sleeve that slides. There is a hinge in the right place. I need to look again and review the photos you guys have sent. The salesman said talk to service. The build sheet says I have it. I'll wait for the last photo and go back to the dealership. Could it be that the hinge that is over the door is the sunrider hinge but the plastic sliding sleeve is missing?? Thanks for all the advise
Old 02-13-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Do you have the latch in the photo over the door? If not, no Sunrider. The bow for the top has a bracket that this latch pins into to hold the top in place when the front part is folded open in the Sunrider open position. Here is a photo of the sleeve you are looking for on the side bow. The first photo shows the hinge with the sleeve slid forward. The second photo shows it in the rear or closed position. You can also see the hole that the pin in the latch on the surround goes into. Bear in mind that the top is upside down on the ground in these photos.

Quick Reply: sunrider top