Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Surprise under hinges when installing Tera Flex Tire carrier!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surprise under hinges when installing Tera Flex Tire carrier!

Wow! Went home on my lunch hour to install my new tera Flex tire carrier. Simple job...should have been. Removed my hinges and low and behold, all rust underneath them. Not painted! Temporary fix. Sanded it, rustoleum primed and sprayed some rustoleam laying around in the garage on it. It was to cold out for it to dry. I needed my Jeep, so I installed the tire carrier.
Plan was to show the dealer, see if they will fix it. Ed Tomko told me they have never seen this before! The hinges are painted at the factory installed...so nothing under your hinge is painted. So they rust. They said Chrysler will not do anything because I am altering the vehicle by removing the hinges. He said if the tailgates do rust, they aren't brought back to them because people are past their warranty. What a line!
I ordered matching spray paint from Quadratec and when it warms up, I will remove the carrier and prime and paint it properly and re=install the carrier.
BTY the teraflex carrier is fantastic and very simple to install, just follow their instructions in proper order. They also have a YouTube video you can watch.
You may want to check under your hinges and save yourself a rusty headache..expense down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130411_124328_740.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	448002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130411_124340_033.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	448003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130411_125629_289.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	448004  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a few threads about the TF hinge and it seems that most people have found that the area under the hinges were not painted at the factory.

I know mine wasn't. I primed and used the factory touch up paint for mine.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kssting
There is a few threads about the TF hinge and it seems that most people have found that the area under the hinges were not painted at the factory.

I know mine wasn't. I primed and used the factory touch up paint for mine.
exactly what im about to do to mine when i get a decent day. got the duplicolor oe match paint for like 7$ a can. mines a 2012 so hopefully there is no rust yet so i can simply wipe it down prime and paint.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was easy to sand the rust off. Just too cold out. Will be a fairly easy fix, just have to re=install my teraflex. I wish I was prepared for this ahead of time. Hopefully anyone else out here that is looking into doing this will read this. If you are not even thinking about doing the carrier, I suggest looking behind your hinges. Just put two blocks under the door and against you bumper to hold the position of your door when you remove the hinge. Will save you having to make any door adjustments.
Makes me wonder what it's like under the door hinges.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESDSKeith
Mine was easy to sand the rust off. Just too cold out. Will be a fairly easy fix, just have to re=install my teraflex. I wish I was prepared for this ahead of time. Hopefully anyone else out here that is looking into doing this will read this. If you are not even thinking about doing the carrier, I suggest looking behind your hinges. Just put two blocks under the door and against you bumper to hold the position of your door when you remove the hinge. Will save you having to make any door adjustments.
Makes me wonder what it's like under the door hinges.
Door and hood hinges are the same, uN painted

Quick Reply: Surprise under hinges when installing Tera Flex Tire carrier!